Best place to live in NW Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 23 Feb 2015
Not worried about employment (luckily), daydreaming about a small "market" (eg. a bit of life outside tourism) town with with good transport links (<5 miles to a station) between Inverness and Torridon.

Please and thank you for your wisdom.
 malky_c 23 Feb 2015
In reply to iksander:
Lochcarron? Life is there somewhere in most smaller places, but not immediately obvious sometimes.

Or maybe Ullapool or Gairloch are a better bet. Gairloch doesn't have particurlarly good transport links though.

Dingwall is the only true market town I can think of in that direction, but it isn't really west coast.
Post edited at 15:34
Rigid Raider 23 Feb 2015
In reply to iksander:

Ballamory's nice and colourful...
In reply to iksander:

I live in Gairloch. Nearest train is Achnasheen - 30 miles. 1 bus daily to/from Inverness. Getting to Glen Torridon by any kind of public transport is difficult. School bus service during term time only from/to Gairloch. Only 45 minutes by car.
Lochcarron is about 3 miles from Strathcarron station., but other public transport is minimal. No direct public transport link to Glen Torridon.
Ullapool has direct bus link to Inverness - nearest train station is Garve - a long way east!- but Ullapool is over 60 miles from Torridon.
Dingwall is 12 miles north-west of Inverness and is a rail "hub" for the Kyle line and the Wick/Thurso line. Reasonably good bus services . And the home of my team - the mighty Ross County!
You can drive to Torridon in just over an hour from Dingwall.
OP iksander 23 Feb 2015
In reply to The Watch of Barrisdale:

Thanks, I have a car - train's for visitors. Come to think of it sod my other criteria, now I've seen the views from Achintraid I'm sold!
Graeme G 23 Feb 2015
 Dr.S at work 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

its ok, but have you got anything more impressive?
Clauso 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Father Noel Furlong:

What are the neighbours like?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...