Recommend me a hardshell for Scotland..Patagonia..Rab..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buffalo606 22 Feb 2015
Wanted for active climbing in pesky around 0 C scottish winter weather (rain/sleet/snow). I know nothing about them but perhaps Patagonia Leashless vs Rab Myriad vs Rab Latok etc. Will need to have a bit of room for layers underneath.

I am trying to find something on sale now around £150 max either online or in shops in Central Scotland.

Your help will be totally appreciated.

(and nothing in boring Black!)
 andyd1970 22 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Go outdoors are selling some Rab jackets half price online
 MtnGeekUK 22 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Sport pursuit have a Rab sale on at the moment.
 LucaC 22 Feb 2015
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

eVent doesn't cut it, in my opinion, I would go for goretex with pitzips, and then whatever is a good fit and happy price. Have used a jacket made of the new gore pro for 60 days on the hill, this year and last, about as good as it gets in nasty only just freezing wet conditions (eg still sweaty, but not as bad as it could be).
OP buffalo606 22 Feb 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Cheers for the heads up, have reserved a Rab Myriad to pick up before close Monday so have until then to be swayed by anything else...
 BnB 22 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Good jacket and very breathable compared to Goretex. I've seen some great prices on the Myriad. Hope you got a good deal.
 MtnGeekUK 22 Feb 2015
In reply to LJC:

Have to agree. Have had a Rab Latok Alpine and Ran Latok - disappointed with both.

Currently have a Sherpa Lithang and impressed so far. Worth speaking to Mountain Training if you're a member - VERY good Pro Deal!!!
 MtnGeekUK 22 Feb 2015
In reply to LJC:

Had to agree. Disappointed with both Rab Latok and Latok Alpine.

Currently have a Sherpa Lithang and impressed so far. Very good deal on Sherpa kit if you're a Mountain Training member - check it out!
In reply to buffalo606:

> Cheers for the heads up, have reserved a Rab Myriad to pick up before close Monday so have until then to be swayed by anything else...

I'd avoid anything made from neo shell or event. They work well to begin with but very quickly start to fail. Gore tex is the gold standard and will last longer. It is no coincidence that all the good manufacturers use gore. The other option is paramo, which is totally different but works well in the conditions you deceive.

Interestingly montane are moving away from event for aw16 and are starting to use gore.

HTH
OP buffalo606 22 Feb 2015
Okay, so NeoShell vs Gore Active. Who wins and why..

BnB 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> I'd avoid anything made from neo shell or event. They work well to begin with but very quickly start to fail. Gore tex is the gold standard and will last longer.

Have you owned a neoshell jacket or is this speculation based on the proven unreliability of eVent?

I have a neoshell jacket and pants, and gore active pants, and a goretex pro jacket. And I've owned goretex for nearly 25 years. My current goretex items are both too sweaty for comfort in active mode although more comfortable on the belay. The neoshell is far more breathable, stretches better, rustles less and is a pleasure to wear on the move but you can feel the extra breathability when you're stood still. Belay jacket definitely required.

As for durability, the supposedly ultra tough Tupilak from ME in goretex pro rips every time it sees rock. To be fair I haven't owned the neoshell items long enough to comment on durability but I can definitely confirm that, like goretex, it isn't crampon-proof!!

blencathra 23 Feb 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

I had a rab neoshell jacket for a year which then failed catastrophically. It delaminated around the cuffs and shoulders and the whole jacket wetted out in heavy rain. Fortunately Snow and Rock took one look at it and gave me a refund.

Now have a ME Seraph Goretex Pro which is a bit stiff and crunchy but keeps out the rain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...