Lens advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brumbler 20 Feb 2015
I'm on the hunt for a new lens, I've got a nikon D7000 and currently using the kit 18-105mm, we're off to font next month and I've got the urge to treat myself to some new glass before we go. I'd say that 90% of the shots I take are bouldering and 100% of the video I shoot is bouldering. Any advice on what to go for?
 Fraser 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:
Yes! You can buy my Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 if you like

Edit: my earlier ad for it is here:
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=604088
Post edited at 17:29
OP Brumbler 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Fraser:

I actually looked at that when the advert first went up. Any more non biased advice? Not that it's a bad lens just want some other opinions.
 tehmarks 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:

Get yourself a fast 35mm prime - a very, very useful lens to have for so many reasons, and also makes you think about perspective and not take the lazy option of zooming to frame things conveniently. They're also, relatively speaking, inexpensive.
 Fraser 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:
Worth a shot!

You should ask yourself what sort of photos do I mostly take or want to take, and base your choice on that. I mostly shoot wide or very wide and that's why I went for the UWA. You get in close to see the detail or holds plus you get enough of the context to create a better cop.

Or do you prefer close up detail and tight cropping, in which case the 35mm suggestion above is ideal. I have the same lens and it's great, I just don't use it anywhere near as often as the UWA.

Flexibility, and it's a zoom of some sort, that you have just now.

What's your budget anyway?

Edit: what's the percentage split between shooting stills and video? Would that help determine your choice?

Edit 2: I should have added that my original suggestion was genuinely based on the fact that if it's mostly bouldering you're shooting, you're no doubt often in quite confined spaces, in which case a w/a is probably a sensible choice. But you really need to give us a bit more information before we can give decent suggestions.
Post edited at 21:53
 john1963 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:

I would go for a wide angle lens.Your 18-105 already covers all other angles you need for your subject matter.A wide angle lens will open up another world of possibilities. Money no object Nikon 12-24 super sharp lens or a cheaper alternative Tokina 11-16 2.8 pro .I have this lens and it is a great performer.
 tehmarks 20 Feb 2015
In reply to john1963:

Playing devil's advocate (a quick scan of my climbing photos reveals that they're all taken at 18-24mm), but a fast lens will create just as many possibilities as a wide lens. Being able to play with depth of field is a brilliant addition to the box of tricks even for climbing photography, and you just won't get that with an ultra-wide zoom.

If you do go down the ultra-wide zoom path, the Nikon 10-24mm (which replaced the 12-24mm) is a brilliant - albeit expensive - lens. Making a good ultra-wide lens is quite the challenge, and Nikon have succeeded more so than any of the other options, which all exhibit various optical flaws to varying degrees. This is reflected in the price though - the Nikon offering is about twice the price of the next best lens!

It also takes some considerable skill to take good wide-angle shots that have any sort of impact, rather than just ending up with a frame full of clutter or unusually small objects. Ken Rockwell has a good article on this, which basically boils down to 'wide angle is for getting as 'in the face' of your subject matter as possible - not for fitting more into the frame.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-use-ultra-wide-lenses.htm
OP Brumbler 20 Feb 2015
In reply to tehmarks:

I was thinking of getting something like the Tokina 12-24 or the 12-28. Looking through my pictures most are shot at 18mm. That Ken Rockwell article is very interesting. As for budget I'm looking about £250-£300 on a second hand lens. I've been given a 50mm f1.2 to play with this weekend to see what I think about that although I think I already know I will want something wider.
 zimpara 20 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:

I had a 50mm 1.8 and it was just too long.
As you said, you already know its not what you want
 tehmarks 21 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:

50mm on an APS-C sensor is a bit long for climbing, for sure. 50mm on a full frame sensor is a good 'normal' lens, and corresponds to about 35mm on APS-C - hence my recommendation

Are your photos mostly taken at 18mm with you wishing you could get wider, or taken at 18mm and happy about it?
 Charlie Noakes 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Brumbler:

I have the Tokina 12-24 f4. I find its a very versatile focal length, good for getting wide in your face bouldering shots but also a good range for landscape, which is the reason I chose this over the 11-16. Its a hefty lump but if that was an issue you probably wouldn't be carrying a DSLR.

If I was mainly shooting bouldering I would go for the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, as its a little faster and can create even more 'impact' from the wider perspective. I've seen some great bouldering shots taken with the 11-16.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...