Ski touring in May- destination suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 19 Feb 2015
Two years ago I had a superb ski mountaineering trip to Georgia- we skiied off the summit of Kasbek at 5000m, saw the beautiful twin peaked Ushba, had a hilarious time getting around the country and found the cities and towns culturally interesting.

Where else can I go in the first two weeks of May that is reasonably adventurous, good value and will still be snowy? I live in Chamonix so I'd rather not be in the alps.

Kyrgystan is on the list- has anyone been to ski there? I saw plenty of skiable terrain from the Pamir highway en route to Murghab from Osh last summer- is this driveable in May with snow close to the road?

With flights I reckon a trip to Kyrgystan could be done for £700- could a Norway trip come in at that price? Any suggestions on a 'cheap' Norway trip?

Where else? I'm not overly enthusiastic about dealing with permits and other red tape, which may exclude Russia...
 alasdair19 22 Feb 2015
In reply to JohnV:

ski an ice cap in Canada? alaska. If you know anyone in the Eagle ski club their journals would give dome good ideas.
 HeMa 22 Feb 2015
In reply to JohnV:

> With flights I reckon a trip to Kyrgystan could be done for £700- could a Norway trip come in at that price? Any suggestions on a 'cheap' Norway trip?

I believe it could...

Get flights to Troms (with Norwegian via Oslo). And pack a lot of food with ya.

Get a bus from the airport to Kvaloya (it's a city bus, so not much dough) and do some touring there (a few days, sleep in the tent).

Then take a bus to Lyngen peninsula and do lots there (again, sleep in the tent or in a few of the huts, which were like 20 NOK per person per night).

Other option would be actually northern Sweden (Kebnekaise region) for ski-touring and Narvik (NOR) + Riksgränsen (SWE) for more free skiing kind of day tours. Sleeping still in the tent, so free. A rental car might be more adviced for this option (Flight to Narvik Eveness airport).
 TobyA 22 Feb 2015
In reply to JohnV:

If you are worried about snow, this was Lyngen in May two years back:
http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/lyngen-in-may-ski-mountaine...
http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/lyngen-in-may-ski-mountaine...

There's an article here on UKC from a month or so ago about some people who went from the UK and manage a pretty reasonably priced week as I remember it. They hired a camper van so that there was their accommodation and transport all sorted in one.
 Rory Shaw 22 Feb 2015
In reply to JohnV:

Airite John,

What about Mt Damavand in Iran - dont know though what conditions will be like then though
Looks like a good mix of exciting travel, different culture and cool peak

Rory
 alasdair19 26 Feb 2015
In reply to Rory Shaw:

visa's likely to be a nightmare some alpine club folk have tried to get put there and given up would be very cool though. ..
 67hours 02 Mar 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

I've just had a visa approved with 2 other Brits for a trip to Iran in April. Its not impossible, just a few forms. Main complication is the lack of a UK embassy which requires a trip overseas to collect it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...