(Scarpa) trail shoes for backpacking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Only a hill 16 Feb 2015
Looking for a bit of advice, and maybe some recommendations.

I'm planning a hike of the Cape Wrath Trail this summer, and have already decided that I'll be wearing trail shoes, not boots. My current shoes are Scarpa Cruxes (the suede leather kind), but the sole is looking worn and I think I will need a new pair before I go.

Scarpa shoes/boots have always fit my feet very well, and I like the level of support the Cruxes give me. I don't think I'm ready to go for Inov-8 ultralight runners. However, I would like shoes as fast-drying as possible — one area where the suede upper doesn't always do so well.

Any recommendations, preferably from Scarpa? Obviously I'll be trying the shoes on before I buy, but interested in hearing views from a hiking perspective, rather than running or climbing.
 redscotti 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Wife uses Scarpa Sparks for walking. Incredibly light and stood up to some pretty rough treatment in the Picos de Europa and boggy stuff in the Beacons. She's not used them in Scottish conditions though.....
 Morgan Woods 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

i have both the canvas and the suede crux and would be happy wearing them on a multi day walk...if it was going to be a bit wet i would probably take the canvas ones.
 TobyA 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

Rock and Run have had Scarpa Sparks on sale really cheap for ages - I nearly bought some. They would be quick drying being mesh. My own experiences of trainers for hiking is mixed. I think a lot of the lightweight evangelist types (and there is something a tad cult-y about it) who say do everything thing in trail running shoes haven't necessarily done a few days of British walking getting thoroughly wet and muddy feet the whole time. If the weather is fine, hiking in my Innov8s is lovely but I find you can hurt your feet if you have cross areas of scree for example and in muddy conditions they aren't much fun.

I've got some Montrail approach shoes http://s.stpost.com/eccstorefront/product_images/96276/f_96276_1.1.jpg they are stout enough to protect my feet scrambling and crossing scree fields in the mountains, but being mesh dry OK as well. Of course they don't make that model anymore, but if Scarpa does something like that might be worth looking at.
OP Only a hill 16 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks, Toby. They look similar to my Scarpas but with mesh for uppers instead of suede.

Whenever I've been backpacking in the last few years, I've usually taken boots (Scarpa Cristallo) and approach shoes. What usually happens is that the boots get inundated crossing a river and take days to dry (which usually translates into a blister factory) whereas the approach shoes remain comfortable even if they do get damp. Before I had the Cruxes, most of my summer day-walking and mountaineering in Scotland was done in 5.10 Guide Tennies. I liked them but they're a bit too focused on climbing for what I do now. The sole was also very grippy on rock but not so good for general terrain.

My rationale is that, whatever footwear I take on the CWT, they're going to get wet at some point — so it's probably better to go for something quick-drying...
In reply to Only a hill:

Actually, it turns out my shoes are Scarpa Zens, not Cruxes...
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=SCA0180EE
 Dr.S at work 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

I picked up some of the zen lights from needle sports (still on special) and have found them good for Scotland so far - gore text lining which might not suit, good tread depth which gives confidence on grass/mud
 alasdair19 16 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
the scarpa zen are the business pretty beefy plenty cushioning. I'm on my third pair. needle sports had them cheap. .. but they're probably worth full whack.
In reply to alasdair19:

Having chatted with a few people about this on Twitter today, I'm actually tempted just to buy a new pair of Zens. If it ain't broke, etc...
 Simon Caldwell 17 Feb 2015
In reply to Only a hill:

That would have been my recommendation - if you've found something that fits your feet and is comfortable then stick with it. And buy a couple of spare pairs, they're bound to launch a "new improved" version which will give you blisters.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...