Scotland sleeping bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ralphie_coombs 14 Feb 2015
Any one recommend what temperature sleeping bag would be best to go for for the occasional winter in scotland?

cheers

Josh
 Welsh Kate 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Ralphie_coombs:

Hi Josh
Will you be car camping or camping in the hills?
Is weight / bulk an issue?
Do you generally sleep warm / hot?
Do you have a budget?
In reply to Welsh Kate:

hi kate

was planning on making snow shelter and using my alpine biviy.
weights a fair concern as i do a lot of climbing with a pack on.
I generally get quite hot when i sleep so was thinking maybe a 3 season and could chuck a couple belay jackets if I get cold and budget is not really a concern.
 ScraggyGoat 14 Feb 2015

-10 DegC, in case a snow hole isn't possible and you end up bivying in cold, damp and breezy conditions, and may be out serveral nights in a row with potentially condensation decreasing the bags performance night on night.

Only a rough guide, as everybody sleeps differently, and how warm you will be depend on far more than just the bag and the person. Feel free to decrease if you sleep warm, always carry enough food to eat like a horse, don't intend to be physically worn down, have a thick matt, will change out of damp gear, etc etc.
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

thanks very much. very helpful.
 Welsh Kate 14 Feb 2015

Yep, I'd agree with somewhere in the -10 area, and I'd also go for down given your responses about budget and bulk. I use an Exped Downmat in winter too for insulation from ground, but you can always boost the insulation of a self-inflating mat with a bit of closed cell mat underneath.
In reply to Welsh Kate:

cool.

Thanks ver much

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...