Ice climbing south Finland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alena 14 Feb 2015
Hi there!
Please, need any information about rocks near Kotka or any ohter places not too far from the fin-rus border.
is there any ice for climbing?
 TobyA 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Alena:

Yes there is, although it is not as well documented as the stuff closer to Helsinki. I don't know Kotka so well - you are probably best asking on Slouppi.net as you might find some Kotka locals who have more knowledge they are willing to share. But I know there is some ice climbing near Ruotsinpytää http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=3662 I've only been there once so I don't know how reliable it is in terms of conditions.

Alternatively, a couple of hours drive north from there (at the most) there is lots of ice climbing around Kouvola and Valkeala http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8582 or http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=8581 or http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=10031

There are lots of crags up by the border (near LappeenrantaI/Imatra) but I don't know if there is ice climbing there - best ask the Finns on Slouppi or see if anything has been added to 27crags.com around there.

Are you Russian? I've heard rumours of endless crags that side of the border including ice, but don't know if its really true or just Finnish dreams of the exotic other Karelia that was once theirs!
Alena 14 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thank you for your answer))
that are not just rumours - there are really lot of pretty high crags with great ice)) Worth feeling sorry to lose it)
I see you are from Scotland) we are going there in May. any avice what must be visited?)
 TobyA 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Alena:

> that are not just rumours - there are really lot of pretty high crags with great ice)) Worth feeling sorry to lose it)

My wife's aunt was born in Viipuri/Vyborg/Выборг; although her mum was born in central Finland after the family had to move west as refugees in 1945 when Finland had to give Karelia to the USSR. So the loss is still quite felt in Finland - I shouldn't, as a foreigner, really make jokes about it. Nevertheless, some of the crags on the Russian side of the border do look rather good!

> I see you are from Scotland) we are going there in May. any advice what must be visited?

Are you going for climbing? Or hiking? Or to visit the cities? May can be a really nice time to be in the Highlands, before the midges (tiny mosquito-like things that make camping in the summer unpleasant) - but with Scotland you always need a bit of luck with the weather.

Alena 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Alena:

Sorry if I insulted somebody, It wasn't my intension=( (I mean about karelia)

We do not have an eact plan yet, but it is going to be hiking-trekking mostly with tents. Now we are sure only about Skye Island and Edinburg. Are there any restrictions about sleeping in tents?
Last year we were in Island, so we are psychologically prepare for any weather jokes)
 TobyA 14 Feb 2015
In reply to Alena:

> Sorry if I insulted somebody, It wasn't my intension=( (I mean about karelia)

No, it was me being jokey about it not you!

> We do not have an eact plan yet, but it is going to be hiking-trekking mostly with tents. Now we are sure only about Skye Island and Edinburg. Are there any restrictions about sleeping in tents?

There are restriction about camping in areas of Scotland - mainly places next to the road, to stop idiots who drive, camp - have campfires, burning things and leave rubbish around. I think it's now illegal to camp in the Loch Lomond National Park area for example for this reason, and you see signs up banning camping in popular places like Glencoe and Glen Nevis. BUT if you are willing to park your car and hike away up the hills from the road, in the Highlands you will be able to camp easily - there is lots of space and not many people. In the valleys if you have a car, it is probably better to stay on campsites with toilet and washing facilities etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...