Wild camp with kids, Peak District.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 13 Feb 2015
Hello Hilltalkers - I haven't normally used this forum but it seems by the far the best place to ask the following question!

Next week (half term) I think I should try and get my kids out on an overnight camp, which we haven't managed since moving to the UK last summer.

I will obviously be looking at the maps, but I wonder if anyone knows a great Peak district wild camp spot that fits the following criteria.
- not a massive walk from the road - perhaps an hour tops, or I will have a very moany 9 year old. For the same reason, probably best to avoid something that is just uphill (at least a steep hill) to get too.
- We're in Sheffield, so somewhere not too far away. We might get dropped off by mum, so walking to a train station the next day to get a train back to Sheff could be one possibility, but maybe we'll just commandeer the car if necessary (mum can get the bus to work!).

Any thoughts? Cheers all.
Ste Brom 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Its illegal, don't do it, if only there was a change in the law allowing us to do it legally.....
OP TobyA 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Ste Brom:
Yes, but no, but yes. I think I'm willing to do some quiet and respectful civil disobedience on that one! We're experienced wild campers who do all the proper leave no trace sort of stuff.
Post edited at 15:39
 deepsoup 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Would a bivvy in Robin Hood's Cave be a ridiculous suggestion?
(The 'proper' RH cave requires a short mod down-climb from the top, or diff up from the bottom to get to.)

I have a couple of other thoughts, I'll drop you an email.
 Andy Say 13 Feb 2015
In reply to Ste Brom:

> Its illegal, don't do it, if only there was a change in the law allowing us to do it legally.....

Don't be silly
 Mark Kemball 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Amongst the trees underneath Lawrencefield? (It's almost 40 years since I camped there, so you'd need to check it out.) That's then a pleasant downhill walk to Grindleford café and station.
OP TobyA 13 Feb 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

Hmmm, sounds interesting - how much room is there in there? I've climbed those routes but not for years and years. The boys might be intrigued but I guess getting up to pee in the night and that sort of thing becomes more of an issue. A cave or good overhang for a bivvy does sound fun though, must be some other possibilities a bit more away from the crowds that slap bang in the middle of Stanage.

Any suggestions via email gratefully received. Thanks v. much!
 Andy Say 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I will PM you.
 wilkesley 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

There are some nice sheltered spots (camp or bivvy) around Outer Edge above Ladybower. It's years since I have been there, so I can't remember how far from the nearest road it is.

Alport Castles is another great place. See: http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=583 Might be a bit soggy ATM though.
 robert-hutton 13 Feb 2015
In reply to wilkesley:

Lady Cannings plantation at Ringinglow is very popular and you don't disturb anyone, but please clean up after your stay, as some don't.
Please note that some weekends it's used for raves avoid at all costs, you will know by the hoards is 18 year olds working up Ringinglow Rd
OP TobyA 13 Feb 2015
In reply to robert-hutton:

> Lady Cannings plantation at Ringinglow is very popular

That's where people mountain bike isn't it? Googled it and this came up near the top of images! http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.9216569.4837/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg work safe, just weird!
 robert-hutton 13 Feb 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Yep weird, also popular with wedding photography. it's ok the south east part away from the paths, but as mentioned I would go to Lawrencefield

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...