Lost dog more hits than gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 keith leonard 09 Feb 2015
On the lost and found forum there was a report of dog found on top of a mountain. It got 1600 views vs most lost gear at 100 or so.
I'm guessing it's because it's less boring or more unusual but as a vet I found it quite heart warming.
There was no final post to say if it found its way home, but I think it's got more hope than most of the crag swag.
Wonder if i should microchip my ice axes.
As an aside microchiping dogs will be compulsory next year and is available via the dogs trust free of charge.
 zimpara 09 Feb 2015
I'd say more showing our humanity.
And UKC members love fluffy things.

Will sporting dogs need chipping?
 cymjt 09 Feb 2015
In reply to keith leonard:

Sorry, it was my post, so I appologise for the lack of 'follow up' message.

I believe the dog did get back to it's owner, yes.

As it happens, in Wales it'll be a legal requirement for every dog to be chipped on the 1st March, whether it lives in Wales or is on holiday. That's March 2015!

This dog was chipped, but somehow had no details linked to the chip (the vet was somewhat flummoxed as to how this was even possible...).

As I say, I believe the dog is back where it belongs!
ceri 09 Feb 2015
In reply to cymjt:
Easy: dog was chipped, no one bothered posting form to chip company, or it was lost in the post and owner never thought "why didn't the chip people send me a letter". We see quite a few stray cats whose chips were never registered at our vets.

Chipping is not allowed, neither is vigorous brushing!

Oh, er, dogs you say.

Sorry

;~))
OP keith leonard 11 Feb 2015
In reply to Ghastly Rubberfeet:

Yes dogging comments only please.
 wilkie14c 11 Feb 2015

The lost and found forum is used my many gear pirates and with the price of a single DMM fly dropping to as low as £30, a dog could be worth considerably more making the long drive and walk worth while.
 balmybaldwin 11 Feb 2015

I've "chipped" all my bikes, the PC that was there giving them out and ooffering advise, pointed out that it was useless unless you then registered it properly when you got home. Suspect the same system is used for Dogs.

Finding dogs also leads to more MR donations than finding people...

Damn parasites
 Tall Clare 11 Feb 2015
In reply to cymjt:

In addition to microchipping, dogs should be wearing a collar with an ID tag so the dog's owner can be contacted easily. I believe it's a legal requirement. I've just seen a very neat ID tag that slots onto the collar rather than dangling from it - less risk of losing it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...