online photography courses

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
As per the title. I'm looking for an online photography course, as a gift for my wife. Essentially, a novice with all the technical stuff, so something not solely designed for people who already know all the big words and stuff.

Any good recommendations?
interdit 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

I would start her off with these free sites.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/learn-photography-concepts.htm
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginner...

You're not necessarily going to find better resources for the basics just because you pay for it.

Further down the line it may be worth paying for a course that relates to any particular aspects of photography that she enjoys. eg. Landscape, wildlife, street etc.
You would look to be paying for the individual insight and experience of someone who produces good work (that your wife likes) in that genre, rather than paying for basic information that is available all over the web and in hundreds of books.
In reply to interdit:

OK, thanks for those. I know some courses have tutor feedback, which can be useful for people who don't want to be exposed to criticism on Flickr, but mainly it can be useful to have a structure to follow, with a clear endpoint.
interdit 07 Feb 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

> OK, thanks for those. I know some courses have tutor feedback,

This is true. I think I may have not correctly grasped what her level is and what she is wanting to learn at this stage.

> which can be useful for people who don't want to be exposed to criticism on Flickr,

I can understand the 'fear', but strangely enough I've seen very little criticism on flickr - To the point that often not enough critique is given imo.

> but mainly it can be useful to have a structure to follow, with a clear endpoint.

What is the sort of endpoint she is looking for in her course? It may help someone to suggest something suitable.
In reply to interdit:

Thanks for taking the time.

I'm genuinely interested in the sites to which you linked and they'll make some decent bedtime reading over the next week or so. But I think there's no substitute for being able to consult with an expert - as the old saying goes, access to information is not the same as being well-informed - and having a course with set work gives a bit more impetus to engage. I'm not too worried about paying a professional for their time (within reason, of course ).

As to outcome, I guess just being better equipped to make the most of photo opportunities. Our walls are full of travel pics that we really like, but there are fifty times as many which ought to have been better-taken.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...