As Bad As A Christmas Letter...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 02 Feb 2015
I have a mate who I used to walk with quite often but less so since he retired about four years ago and moved. We now only seem to keep in touch by text.

Almost every time I get a text from him it seems to be only about all the parties he's been to, what a good time he's having etc., etc.

Personally it's now got to the point where it pisses me off as much as those letters that some people send out at Christmas. My mate knows that we have got on going family problems and, really, the last thing I particularly want to hear about is his latest dinner party at the golf club or his Sunday lunch with neighbours(who I don't even know)

Can anyone think of a subtle way in which I could tell him to put a sock in it?
abseil 02 Feb 2015
In reply to FesteringSore:

> ...Almost every time I get a text from him it seems to be only about all the parties he's been to, what a good time he's having.... it pisses me off.... Can anyone think of a subtle way in which I could tell him to put a sock in it?

That sounds pretty bad, and to me your mate sounds insensitive (you said "My mate knows that we have got on going family problems"). So I hate to say that subtlety might not work. If it was me I might just not reply/ just delete the texts.

Sorry I haven't been much help.
OP FesteringSore 02 Feb 2015
In reply to abseil:
> That sounds pretty bad, and to me your mate sounds insensitive (you said "My mate knows that we have got on going family problems"). So I hate to say that subtlety might not work. If it was me I might just not reply/ just delete the texts.

Much what I thought. I do occasionally leave it some while before I text him back and then I never mention his party going lifestyle. Might be time to tell him how lucky he is to have so many friends and to be able to go to so many parties etc.
Post edited at 11:18
 cander 02 Feb 2015

If he's your mate - just tell him to put a sock in it - we do all the time - I don't walk around on eggshells with friends, being an old northern git friendships are robust, and preciousness isn't allowed.
 mockerkin 02 Feb 2015

You don't have to be too subtle. Just remind him of your family situation and tell him that his cheerful letters depress you. Ask him to change the subject to something less disturbing to you.
Jim C 02 Feb 2015
In reply to mockerkin:
> (In reply to FesteringSore)
>
> You don't have to be too subtle. Just remind him of your family situation and tell him that his cheerful letters depress you. Ask him to change the subject to something less disturbing to you.

Yep, he should perhaps (jokingly )ask him for some BAD news that he can relate too.
Just sent a text saying that with ongoing problems a party lifestyle is a no no.

abseil 02 Feb 2015

> Just sent a text saying that with ongoing problems a party lifestyle is a no no.

Nice one!
 Timmd 02 Feb 2015
My dad exclaimed in exasperation that 'Something bad must have happened as well?' when an old friend sent him a Christmas letter a couple of years ago. (:~))
Post edited at 14:04
In reply to Timmd:

> My dad exclaimed in exasperation that 'Something bad must have happened as well?' when an old friend sent him a Christmas letter a couple of years ago. (:~))

Nice one - I often feel like that. Thankfully we don't get many.
abseil 02 Feb 2015
In reply to Timmd:

> My dad exclaimed in exasperation that 'Something bad must have happened as well?' when an old friend sent him a Christmas letter a couple of years ago. (:~))

Now you've given me a really good idea for a Xmas letter next time - I'm going to write one full of complete doom and gloom just to cheer all the recipients up - e.g. Mrs Abseil ran away with a mechanic, house burnt down and forgot to insure it, hamster died, lost my job and gone bankrupt, in court tomorrow on fraud charges, kids expelled from school for plagiarism, losing my memory, last sentence: "Not a bad year all in all".
In reply to abseil:

> Now you've given me a really good idea for a Xmas letter next time - I'm going to write one full of complete doom and gloom just to cheer all the recipients up - e.g. Mrs Abseil ran away with a mechanic, house burnt down and forgot to insure it, hamster died, lost my job and gone bankrupt, in court tomorrow on fraud charges, kids expelled from school for plagiarism, losing my memory, last sentence: "Not a bad year all in all".

Don't forget Tarquin doing drugs
abseil 02 Feb 2015

> Don't forget Tarquin doing drugs

Right. And all my hair dropping out. And getting frostbite on the way to TESCO. And getting mugged. (I'm on a roll now...)
 Trangia 02 Feb 2015

That's the trouble with being retired and on a pension. there is f*ck all to do except enjoy yourself.......

Tell him not to worry, it won't be long before age related health problems start coming along to give him something different to bore his friends with! There is nothing like a blow by blow account of "my operation" to interest your friends (not)!
In reply to Trangia:

> That's the trouble with being retired and on a pension. there is f*ck all to do except enjoy yourself.......

> Tell him not to worry, it won't be long before age related health problems start coming along to give him something different to bore his friends with! There is nothing like a blow by blow account of "my operation" to interest your friends (not)!

Trangia 02 Feb 2015

I like your profile but if you really want to wind up left wing loons, shouldn't it read "Riding to hounds" rather than "Riding with hounds"?

One really needs to get the terminology right doesn't one?
In reply to Trangia:

> I like your profile but if you really want to wind up left wing loons, shouldn't it read "Riding to hounds" rather than "Riding with hounds"?

> One really needs to get the terminology right doesn't one?

Of course; point taken.

> Just sent a text saying that with ongoing problems a party lifestyle is a no no.

Had a text asking me why I'm being grumpy! :o/

johncook 02 Feb 2015
In reply to abseil:

Once tried this! Got loads of replies offering condolences and offers of help, but not a single penny in donations or actual effort to help. Was great for a laugh. All the good friends thought it was funny. All the others thought I meant it. A real sorter!
abseil 03 Feb 2015
In reply to johncook:

> Once tried this! Got loads of replies offering condolences and offers of help, but not a single penny in donations or actual effort to help. Was great for a laugh. All the good friends thought it was funny. All the others thought I meant it. A real sorter!

Excellent, I enjoyed that! "Great for a laugh" - too right.
 bleddynmawr 03 Feb 2015

My mother in law once phoned to tell us her news. This was the death of a neighbour, another friend of hers being diagnosed with a serious illness, and a minor train derailment. As nothing ever happens in the village where she lives she was actually quite excited!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...