WML training blog

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 01 Feb 2015
Just done my WML training, thought I'd put a blog together for it, so here it is, hope its of interest

http://www.jbmountainskills.co.uk/news/winter-mountain-leader-training
 Jon Wickham 01 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Interesting reading. I would be interested in some of the kit choices that people made. Also what sort of literage of packs did people use for the exped? Thanks.
OP jezb1 01 Feb 2015
In reply to Jon Wickham:
Hey Jon.
My personal pack choice was my BD speed 40. There was a variety of bags, mostly 50-60 I guess, of all sorts of manufacturer.
Any particular kit choices you're interested in?e added a

I've added a paragraph to the blog....

Here's a quick summary of the kit I used... Pack wise I used my trusty BD Speed 30 and the 40 for the exped, just about big enough... I started in my Sportiva Trangos which have some insulation, but switched to my Phantoms, which are warmer and just as comfy. Clothing wise, merino base layer stuff, Mountain equipment soft shell trousers and hooded jacket (I love hoods), Patagonia Super Alpine Shell, ME Karakorum over trousers. A belay jacket is a must for me and I chuck on my ME Fitzroy whenever there's breaks in the day. My Bloc goggles were awesome at keeping the elements out, they have an orangy tint that I like and works well (for me) at night. Silva type 4 compass was ok, but the bezel freezes up easily and is a little fiddly with frozen gloves on, I think there are better options. I use an Alpkit down sleeping bag with an old bulky VauDe bivi bag - I'm going to upgrade to a lighter bivi bag. Gloves... had a few cheap thin liners a pair of awesome Marmot leather Work gloves, a pair of ME Guide gloves and a mega warm pair of Outdoor Designs Primaloft mitts. My crampons were Grivel G12s and I used a DMM Cirque axe. I'm never without my BD Z-Poles either - love them!
Post edited at 22:19
iamaclimber 02 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Interesting blog.

I spent the other night in a snow hole and found that everything got really wet when the stove started up and the temperature raised. Has anyone got any advice on how to manage this?

Thanks
 jezzah 02 Feb 2015
In reply to iamaclimber:

you need to get good ventilation or cook outside... snow holes are always wet in my experience the difference is how wet you get during the night.

cheers
Jez
 Mike P 02 Feb 2015
In reply to jezzah:

Best way to avoid drips in your snow hole is to be REALLY pedantic in smoothing the ceiling. Get a "perfectly" smooth dome and the melt water will run to the sides of the hole, rather than drip off the Artex. Use the back of a snow saw to do the final scrape. Get it right and you will have a drier night.
 Si Withington 03 Feb 2015
In reply to Mike P:
I think the hardest thing is dealing with all the melt water soaking your shell and gloves as they thaw out.
Post edited at 14:06
 lithos 04 Feb 2015
In reply to jezb1:

nice write up but pix don't work ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...