Protecting ski goggles in your pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mcdweeb 31 Jan 2015
Anyone got any good ideas about how you stop
1. crushing the goggles and breaking the lens
2. not scratching them
3. something light and durable
4. all of the above

probably looking for the impossible, I currently just use the old lightweight cardboard box it came in but reinforces by duct tape, its ugly and doesn't work very well. I rarely carry them now unless the forecast is for wind because I worry about destroying the goggles which occasionally catches me out when I don't take them. Decent goggles are so expensive, you'd think they'd come in a decent case or maybe they do now!
 Postmanpat 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

Buy a case?

Wear them all the time?
 gethin_allen 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

When winter climbing I take my old goggles and keep them wrapped in my emergency mittens in a dry bag.
 LastBoyScout 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

Have a look in Snowboard shops for goggle cases - Burton used to do some nice ones, as I've got the sunglasses version.

Both my pairs of Oakley goggles are in Oakley cases I picked up in sales - one of them for only a few pounds.
 matthew 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

Reasonable sized rucksack so you don't have to cram everything in.
Plenty of pockets on it so you can keep things separate and find them easily.
Practical but unfashionable.
 NottsRich 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

I got my goggles free, but have just found them for £13. I wrap them in a buff and stuff them in the lid of my bag or down my jacket. They work perfectly in Scotland, and haven't been scratched or damaged by doing this. No fancy coatings on the lens, just slightly tinted for the sun. Perhaps the problem is having goggles for climbing, that are actually expensive ski goggles with probably too much tint for Scotland?
 inboard 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:
I've kept a pair of Oakley goggles in my winter pack for the past 13 years; replaced them last week because the foam had died and they didn't sit comfortably on my face any longer.

They were oakley's cheapest ones but I think all their range feature flexible and impact resistant lens materials and very flexible rubbery frames. I don't use a case, just the soft bag they came with. They've never shown any sign of breaking. Fwiw, I'm usually out a lot in winter, so my sack gets a fair bit of abuse over several months.

I wouldn't waste money, space, nor weight on a case.
Post edited at 13:13
 Mehmet Karatay 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:
As some others have said, i keep my goggles in my lid pocket of my rucksack in the bag that came with the goggles. The bag is basically made up of lens cleaning cloth. I've never had problems with the goggles getting scratched or cracked, but I am careful not to sit on my bag's lid.

Mehmet
Post edited at 14:10
 nniff 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

Put them in any old bag, sock (or in my case a very old silk balaclava) and then put them in your helmet. When you're climbing but not wearing them, they can just kick around in your empty rucksack or go on your helmet.
Removed User 31 Jan 2015
In reply to nniff:

ditto - tend to wrap them in a spare buff & tuck them into the gap between the helmet shell & the webbing net (yep, that's me still wearing an Ecrin Roc), next to a banana & a foil blanket duct-taped in place...
 m dunn 31 Jan 2015
In reply to mcdweeb:

Bottoms of two largish juice bottles works well; they jam fit over one another.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...