Where would you go skiing tomorrow?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Harri777 30 Jan 2015
I've got some skinny nordic skis I haven't used for a while, and am hopeful I might be able to get out on them this weekend- but I need some location recommendations. I live in West Yorkshire so could conceivably get to the Peak, North Yorks, or maybe the eastern side of the Lakes. I'm looking for rolling countryside where I can cover a decent distance rather than dramatic descents or anything too technically challenging.

Any ideas? Or will it all have melted by tomorrow anyway?

Cheers!
 yorkshireman 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Are they classic or skate skis? Either way, they're not really suited to non-groomed tracks (although classics tends to manage a bit better)

I went (skate) XC skiing yesterday and at the end of the valley the tracks were ungroomed (they just hadn't got round to it) and I made a bit of a trek to get across the river to the tracks on the other side. It took a lot of the fun out of it.
 hang_about 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Nearly a foot on the west edge of Sheffield but haven't got out further to see how much it blew around. It'll still be deep tomorrow but not sure where the best place for planks will be
 Chris the Tall 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Where would I go skiing tomorrow ? I wouldn't, nor on Sunday, because then I'd miss my flight to the dolomites!

Hope that helps

(P.S. A mate is always raving about Raise in the lakes, but that's for downhill. I'd imagine they'll be plenty of snow left in the peak this weekend, it's sunny but not warm. Maybe Derwent Edge from the A57 would be good - it certainly is on the mountain bike. I'm almost upset at being around this weekend)
 wbo 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

My method with my classics was to drive round till I saw something that looked ok and take it from there. Which model are they? There should be a lot you can do on (preferably waxless ) classic skis in the Peak
 TobyA 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

There is lots of snow above Sheffield, no idea what it would be like for skiing up on the moors but at least if you go somewhere heathery/grassy - even if you're going through the snow in places you'll be ok. I was skiing in a park in Sheffield yesterday afternoon, youtube.com/watch?v=2g1xe8MWgQ4& but I have very different skis for low snow conditions. I wouldn't fancy using my XC track skis in the UK, as they really are designed for use on tracks!
 yorkshireman 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

Oh, and to (smugly) answer the original question, I might go onto my local hill tomorrow (100m from my house) and pootle around the 8km of groomed pistes there on skis (we've had about 50cm of fresh snow since midnight last night and its not slowing down much).

Sunday I'm racing (running) in a larger resort (Superdévoluy) in the next valley so will take my snowboard and play around there afterwards.

OP Harri777 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

They're classics but I've no idea what model. Something cheap! I've done quite a bit of offtrack stuff with them before, but I've never had to choose the location myself!

Sounds like the peak may be a good bet. And if it's no good I can always go for a run.
 Nemo9 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

I find golf courses particularly good for skiing on. Don't need a lot of snow , in fact a hard frost is all you need !
 Alyson 30 Jan 2015
In reply to Harri777:

I was out walking (floundering) in the peak district today. East facing slopes were holding a good foot of powder snow - up to 3 feet in the deeper drifts. That was just above Ladybower reservoir so not hard to get to. Upper Derwent Valley area would be a good bet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...