Winter bouldering in Siberia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
a_kichkailo 29 Jan 2015
Hello! I want to introduce video about winter bouldering festival in national park Stolby in Siberia. Winter bouldering is traditional fun in Stolby climbing society. It unique climbing in the World, because nowhere and nobody climbs snowy problems without ice tools. We use only tricouni (boots with metal nails) or crampons and cotton gloves. Snow replaces crash pad and climbing becomes very tricky and technical. The first festival took place 24 years ago in 1991 and since then we have decided to hold it every year in Orthodox Christmas . We invite you in Krasnoyarsk town in Siberia to try winter bouldering! Video with English subtitles:
vimeo.com/116631836
 TobyA 29 Jan 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:

That's completely bizarre, but in a good way! And we have Scottish winter ethics, which make very little sense to anyone else, so who are we to say "Huh!?!"
 Misha 30 Jan 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:
Very interesting because it's so different to our idea of both winter climbing and bouldering.

Trevers 30 Jan 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:

Lovely video, looks like a lot of fun! Although I wouldn't want to be spotting anyone with axes and crampons!
 girlymonkey 30 Jan 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:

Looks fun. Anyone fancy going as a group next year? If I can get the money to go, then I can be translator etc.

Kichkailo, do you live in Krasnoyarsk? I was there once a number of years ago but only briefly and didn't make it out to the Stolby.
a_kichkailo 01 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hello, my name is Alex Kichkailo is my surname Yes I live in Krasnoyarsk and try to develop our bouldering regon Stolby and make it more popular among foreigners. If you are thinking to come, we will organize accommodation and climbing I invite you
In reply to a_kichkailo:

When I think of Stolby I think of this video: youtube.com/watch?v=lwCyM84HCcA&

Winter style would be interesting
 girlymonkey 01 Feb 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:

Sounds fun, we were also thinking about a summer trip to Altai (and can only afford one trip next year!!), do you know anything about that region also?

Rather than hijack this thread, here's the thread I started for it
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=608279
a_kichkailo 01 Feb 2015
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

Try to see video about our bouldering festivals: vimeo.com/49280022
and vimeo.com/49280022
We have good climbing history at Stolby
a_kichkailo 01 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Altai is great for mountaineering, but I used to mountaineering, but then moved to the rock climbers and never was not in the Altai Mountains. Try to see this site: http://altay-aktru.ru/eng/ I bolted small rock climbing area in Altai region. Name of area is Savushki and try to do guide book: http://www.krasrocks.ru/%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8B/drugie-rajony/savush... - this is my site. Try to translate this with help of Google
 girlymonkey 02 Feb 2015
In reply to a_kichkailo:

Thanks. I might PM you at some point for more information.
a_kichkailo 02 Feb 2015
In reply to girlymonkey:

Ok

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...