Combining Skiing with climbing in the S of France

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi, I'm planning a climbing trip to the South of France at Easter and i would really like to combine it with a couple of days skiing for me and my daughter. I'm rubbish at skiing and she would need lessons ( she's eight) so I'm looking for somewhere cheap and simple that we could rock up and ski for a couple of days. I've tried to look on line but everything seems to be geared towards resorts and how good the skiing is. I'm happy to put up with some fairly ordinary skiing just to have a go. Does anyone have any suggestions? We will be in Apt east of Avignon, but obviously I'm prepared to drive. Thanks.

Marcus
 Chris Harris 27 Jan 2015
In reply to marcusinbristol:

You're a fair trek from anywhere that will have reliable snow at Easter.

Risoul/Vars is the first place that springs to mind, Google maps puts it at 2½hrs from Apt.

In reply to Chris Harris:

Cool, that sounds close enough! Do you know any more about Risoul/vars or a good place to look for more details?
 Arcturus 27 Jan 2015

Alpe d' Huez is 3 hours from Avignon. It is excellent for Easter because it has altitude . If the weather is fine it gets a lot of sun which is glorious and the views over toward Ecrins are brilliant. It is an outstanding area for beginners and being a full-on resort instruction will not be a problem. I think some of the beginner lifts are still free of charge. There is accommodation of every type. Easter is a popular time of course so you can expect it to be busy but there is lots of space. It is a huge beginner/intermediate area. You can also get up to the glacier at 3000 metres (just for the view or to ski) . The glacier is crevasse free so no problems of a mountaineering nature!...it is what you might call user friendly and although the skiing is best up there for intermediates (blue run stuff) you could have a knock about if you are up for it and then get the gondola down thus avoiding the tougher return runs (red and black). The snow up there is usually excellent.

In reply to Arcturus:

Thanks, AlpeD'Huez looks good!
i live in the vallouise valley near the ecrins, about an hour from vars,

there are a few ski resorts that would suit you here, puy st vincent is my local one, just voted cheapest of the resorts in france, (out of the top 20 resorts)

the climbing here is amazing to 85 sports crags in the area and every grade to go at on four or 5 rock types, i moved here for the climbing.

your plan sounds fun, at that time of year i switch between ski touring and craging and love it, the weather is normally nice then, as always when you try and do two activities on the limits of their season you can be disappointed, by weather and conditions, but the last few years your plans would have been easy posable,

if you are staying further south there are a few little french type resorts, and some lower ones near gap, but they may struggle for snow that time of year,

if you like get in touch and i can fill you in on the resorts and maybe climbing here

cheers Rob
caver 27 Jan 2015

links to piste maps for most of the resorts around Vars/Risoul

http://www.alpineaccomodation.com/#/skiing/4532428454

yorkshireman 27 Jan 2015

Like badmarmot, I'm in the area - on the western edge of the Ecrins. We've got a local ski station which is perfect for beginners and kids but is likely to shut by mid March so no good for you.

You could try La Joue du Loup/Super Dévoluy - its about 2 hours from you but is also served by trains from Marseille to Veynes-Dévoluy which you might be able to hop onto. It's two resorts, with around 100km of pistes and although not as high as the mega resorts, if the conditions are good you should be OK. Ceuse is next door too

http://www.ledevoluy.com/hiver/en/

I think you're going to need to be flexible and see what the weather/conditions are like at the time.

The snow has been pretty poor this year and although its decent at the moment, the lack of solid base in many places may mean some resorts close early.
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thank you, for some great suggestions. I think my plan is going to be to wait a month and see how the conditions are looking at the start of March and then make a plan then. You've been a great help.

Marcus
 Doug 28 Jan 2015

I've skied at Vars (although only for a day) & it would be a good choice if the snow conditions are reasonable. Another option might be Orcieres (http://www.orcieres.com ) just north of Gap which normally would still be open, but this year doesn't seem to be normal!
 Matt Clifton 28 Jan 2015
This might interest you as much as Alpe d'Huez given your location but there's a small resort on north side of Mont Ventoux with drag lifts and some sledging. The cycling's better though but your daughter might not like that as much as you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...