Are these cheap crampons any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
simonx98 26 Jan 2015
Hi there,

I do one winter trip a year, it is hiking not climbing really, biggest being Toubkal but usually in Scotland (Ben MacDui next month for example). I have old Scarpa Mant M4 boots (B2).

I always hire crampons because they're so expensive to buy, but after about 10 trips I should have bought them!

Anyway saw some Chinese one on fleabay for less than £15 ("Strap Type Crampons Ski Belt High Altitude Hiking Slip-resistant 10 Crampon") - does anyone have a view on these?

Thanks ... Simon.
 Gael Force 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

I would imagine for walking they would be fine, especially something like a walk over to the plateau, it's not going to strain them too much.
Plenty older cheap second hand ones on ebay as well.
 d_b 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

I would feel a bit uneasy about going that cheap, as some metals can become brittle and fail when it gets cold. Not something you need when you are half way through a long walk.

I had a quick look around, and the cheapest reputable crampons available new seem to be from Climbing Technology or AustriAlpin, but as Gael Force said you should be able to get some second hand for not very much.
Zoro 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98: they dont look too bad, but i'd look at buying a better quality second hand pair. I have a spare pair that i bought 15 years ago that are still going strong, so you will definately get your moneys worth.
That said you can only give them a go, although usually the weak parts tend to be where the plast straps are held togother with small metal studs. So id just take a few small zip ties out in your first aid kit.

Let us know how you go on.

simonx98 26 Jan 2015
I am wary of the unknown, unless anyone has experience or there is a proper review I'd probably steer clear.
Whenever I look for second hand ones they are pretty pricey, maybe because I am always looking at Grivel / Black Diamond.
I'll take a shifty at Climbing Technology or AustriAlpin, thanks.
 Mr Trebus 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

There were lots of Salewa and Camp army surplus on ebay that looked ok. Not sure if they are any left.

tiso do a c1 crampon and walking axe for around £100. They are rebadged Grivel kit and look good value.
 Only a hill 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:
NO! I've seen photos doing the rounds on Facebook of these exact crampons with seriously bent and mangled spikes after a SINGLE use. Some of the spikes were actually squashed flat — the build quality is abysmal and they appear to be highly unsafe. Do you really want to trust your life to garbage like that? Spend the money on proper crampons.
Post edited at 13:35
simonx98 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Only a hill:
Thanks, the insight I needed.

In reply to Mr Trebus:

> There were lots of Salewa and Camp army surplus on ebay that looked ok. Not sure if they are any left.
Seem to have gone, I'll keep an eye out for more.
> tiso do a c1 crampon and walking axe for around £100. They are rebadged Grivel kit and look good value.
I have an axe and they don't appear to do their own brand crampons unbundled.
Thanks for the tips

In reply to davidbeynon:
Do these look appropriate:
CT 12 point £69: http://www.climbers-shop.com/9920051/products/climbing-technology-nuptse-cl... ? Cheers.

Also tt his price point are the Grivel Monta Rosas e.g. £72: http://www.fieldandtrek.com/grivel-monte-rosa-crampons--788006?colcode=7880...

Ideally I'll pay less for some and I'd happily buy second-hand if not used excessively.
Post edited at 16:42
 andrewmc 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:
Go Outdoors do a 'North Ridge Snowline' crampon for £54.99 which is made by Grivel and look similar to the Monte Rosa other than the badge?
Post edited at 17:41
 d_b 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:
That sort of 12 point crampon is a good all rounder - good for walking and easy climbing. I would have no hesitation buying them at that price.

TobyA did a review of them on here a couple of years ago: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3300
Post edited at 17:47
simonx98 26 Jan 2015
Thanks all, the Go-Outdoors ones seem good at £55 - appears to be an offer for a fiver off which would cover the cost of their discount card.
Looking like it is between them and the £65 Nuptse (12 point).
 allanscott 26 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

I bought a pair of Climbing Technology Nuptse 12 pointers a couple of winters ago when Cotsworld started stocking them. Paired with Scarpa Charmoz boots and they are absolutely fine for winter Munros and would certainly be ok for easy climbs too.
simonx98 27 Jan 2015
In reply to allanscott:

Time to end my procrastination! Want to keep a lid on spending but ... this is a dangerous route to start on ....

...for my purposes, are the Nuptse 12s a tenner's worth better than the North Ridge (i.e. rebadged Monte Rosa) ?
 Guy Hurst 28 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

The Nuptses are good crampons IME, but more for mountaineering or lowish grade climbing. The North Ridge ones are probably preferable for UK winter walking, being lighter and more flexible. So neither is really better as such, they're just a bit different.
 lithos 28 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

I've got a pair of black diamond contact strap crampons hardly used (not stainless steel version) which i haven't got around to advertising ... I'd want 50 quid plus postage (or collection, York, Leeds, Hgate) for them if you are interested...
 GrantM 28 Jan 2015
In reply to simonx98:

> ...for my purposes, are the Nuptse 12s a tenner's worth better than the North Ridge (i.e. rebadged Monte Rosa) ?

The North Ridge crampons look more like Grivel G1 than Monte Rosa and they're exactly the same weight as G1s (less than Monte Rosa). I used the North Ridge ones on Bidean, CMD Arete, Cairngorms etc with no problems, the Nuptse ones are heavier but will definitely be better if you're doing winter graded stuff and look like a steal at that price.

simonx98 03 Feb 2015
Sod's law, when I went to get the North Ridge ones they'd gone up from £55 to £79!!
So been keeping an eye out for decent crampons for less than the Nuptses, but might have to fork out for them soon.
 gethin_allen 05 Feb 2015
In reply to simonx98:

Just seen this link posted up on a different thread relating to the crampons you were looking at.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/dangerous-crampons-online

Aren't you glad you didn't get them now?
 Andy Say 05 Feb 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

And a really good example to flag up to the 'what do the BMC ever do for us' sort of whinger!

That's really good clear advice.
simonx98 06 Feb 2015
In reply to andyathome:
thanks
(I would only have purchased with positive feedback from anyone who's tried them)

I'm still prevaricating by the way, CT Nuptse 12 for £69 or Monte Rosa for £75
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/grivel-monte-rosa-nc-c1-crampon-e7310008?id_...
Post edited at 18:30
 Jasonic 06 Feb 2015
In reply to simonx98:

Choice of crampons depends on one fits your boots- take them with you.

Found BMC link amazing- how much is your life worth?
simonx98 21 Feb 2015

Great (*sarcastic*).
I went for the CT Nuptse Classics as they were just £69 from a reputable retailer (The Climbing Shop), but now I read they are subject to a product recall:
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/recall-of-climbing-technology-crampons

Travelling Wednesday for use commencing early Thursday, so replacement might be tricky.
Have just emailed The Climbing Shop( aka Joe Brown) - mine don't have any batch number on them (terrible inconsistency from CT) , so don't know if they are affected. Even if they say crampons without a batch number are unaffected how can I feel safe.

Anyone know any more about this??

Cheers .... Simon.
Post edited at 18:56
rackandruin 21 Feb 2015
In reply to simonx98: According to Climbers shop you should be OK
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?t=609494

simonx98 21 Feb 2015
In reply to rackandruin:

Cheers.
 normie boy 22 Feb 2015
In reply to simonx98: best option for walking is kahtoola spikes, or similar, I reckon. I use mine for walking in Scotland in preference to crampons. Initially bought for running but now supplanted crampons for all but proper climbing.
Else try Simond at decathlon... about £60.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...