Synthetic Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TClimb 25 Jan 2015

I'm after a warmer jacket for winter climbing (not planning ice climbing!). Id like a thinner, synthetic one, that I can scrunch down and pack away rather than a traditional down jacket. Also the synthetic ones seem to be better able to deal with rain. The Montane Flux seems a good 'un. from trying on. I also like the look of the Arcteryx
Nuclei Hoody.
However as I am probably going to buy online and cannot try every jacket on, I was wondering if anyone had experienced the flux or had any suggestions for this kind of jacket?

Cheers
Post edited at 18:38
Bellie 26 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

I have a flux, and really like it. I'm I think a standard medium and a M fits well, with long arms - usefull when stretching up. The back drops down enough. I have the last version, and it looks like new one has a different face fabric - slightly less shiny and more cloth like. Not as close a fit as my early version Finisterre Etobicoke jacket, but close enough not to let wind up! The hood can be rolled down and makes things nice and warm when the thing is filly zipped up.

The Rab Generator Alpine is worth a look at. The standard Generator without a hood is being discounted heavily in places. which is a slimmer fit.

The Flux packs down well, but a hoodless version will even more so. There is also a hoodless version of the Flux out now - if you don't need the hood.
 Ndawson 26 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=4457

There are some good reviews on here.
Post edited at 09:45
 nathan79 26 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

If the Flux fits you go for it. Reasonable price and a decent piece of kit. Love all those big pockets.

Only negatives IMHO are that it's primaloft eco, but I don't see that as a biggie. Tight sleeves on me but that's a personal thing as you say it fits you fine.
OP TClimb 26 Jan 2015
In reply to nathan79: Cheers for the responses. It does seem it is a bit of a perosnal preference, go for it and hope it works! I have read the reviews and may well just try more on, layer up over the coming months and but one in the summer when they should be cheaper!
Bellie 27 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

If you are happy with grey/green trim, Blacks have them in all sizes at £95 currently in the sale.

Bellie 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

Go Outdoors have the Electric Blue ones down to £95 also. Usual GO policy applies... if you can find any at the right size in a store near you!

Iclimb 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TClimb:

I've got two brilliant Adidas primaloft jackets of differing thicknesses, which saw me up Kili recently. They were both under £20 at the Stockport outlet store.

Obvs I'm a woman, so they might not have the same gear for men, but worth a look if you're on a budget and prepared to veer away from the standard outdoor brands.

(I should add that Adidas sometimes send me gear to review for Womenclimb, so I'm not completely impartial, but on this occasion I bought the jackets with my own cash and they have functioned really well and been hardwearing).

Emily

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...