Julian Alps advice/info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jacob k-d 25 Jan 2015

Hoping to head to the Julian alps for some walking around easter. Anyone done much walking there? Any info appreciated from where best to fly to, camping, and any good areas.
cheers
 BnB 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

Fabulous place. You'll love it. We flew to Ljubljana from Manchester and hired a car for £150pw from one of the big operators. Very helpful to have a car but there are bus services with timetables through the main mountain passes. It's all good but generally the scenery improves the further west you go. Bohinj and Kranjska Gora are good bases. It's better value than any other Alpine destination and the local food is an amusing mix of protein and suet.

The walking paths are excellent and well signposted while the scrambling is plentiful. Whatever the difficulty level, the views are truly spectacular. I'm really looking forward to going back, hopefully this summer.
 Lucy Wallace 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

Fabulous place. I've been twice, the first time in early summer and we were a bit restricted to the valleys due to a lot of snow high up. Went back in sept and had a ball on the higher routes. Both times based at Kranjska Gora mostly with a few days at Bonhinj.
crisp 25 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

I live in Udine and regularly go out with the local branch of the Alpine Club. I can email you information on walks if you like.
OP Jacob k-d 25 Jan 2015
In reply to crisp:

that would be great! thanks!
OP Jacob k-d 25 Jan 2015
In reply to crisp:

what will the conditions be like late may? is the slovene high level route out of the question?
 Flinticus 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

Hi. Not been but have looked into it. It looks like a brilliant location. I got a lot of info from

http://www.summitpost.org/julian-alps/152184

and from this

http://home.amis.net/ibm21/brigalps/index.html (particularly this site)
 d_b 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

I would expect there to be quite a lot of snow about in May. High huts would most likely be closed, but most of them do have winter rooms.
 allanscott 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Jacob k-d:

A Guide to Walks and Scrambles in the Julian Alps Based on Kranjska Gora by Mike Newbury from Linlithgow self published wee guide based on many years visiting the area. Should be easily available and might be helpful for you.
 Joak 26 Jan 2015
In reply to allanscott:

Aye, my now dog eared copy of Mike's guide proved very helpful in getting me acquainted with the Julian Alps. Looking forward to giving it another airing in the summer
 d_b 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Joak:

Good little guidebook that one.

One thing I should have mentioned is that the best maps of the area I have seen by far are for sale in the shop at the alpine museum in Mojstrana. Head and shoulders above the ones I bought in the UK.
 Joak 27 Jan 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

The modern flimsy Kompass maps, whilst maybe not being very robust or durable show enough detail to get established on the correct path, take the right fork at col junctions, find huts, etc. Higher up on the interesting stuff, in common with the Cuillin of Skye I find guide book descriptions much more relevant. The "red circle with a white centre" waymarks daubed on the rock, unlike the Cuillin, renders navigation a relatively simple affair.
 d_b 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Joak:

I hate kompass maps. Even with a map case they always fall apart by the end of a trip, and are usually well on the way by the end of the first walk.

Is printing on decent paper really that hard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...