Buying boots in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BusyLizzie 24 Jan 2015
My beloved walking boots have had it. I have to bite the bullet and get some new ones. I'd be grateful for recommendations of places in London where the staff will take time and have both expertise and patience, and will not mind my marching around their shop in several pairs of boots* for a long time. Cotswold Outdoor at Chancery Lane springs to mind. The folk in the shop in Covent Garden were lovely when I bought my winter boots; so I guess I would start with them; but suggestions and advice would be gladly received.

*Not all at once.

(I live in Reading and work in London, and I'm thinking London is the better bet)

L
 Jasonic 24 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Good luck!
Traditionally one tried boots in the afternoon when your feet swell up..
Bought my last pair in Needlesports- 10 years ago!
 marsbar 24 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

I live in London and have no idea, so I googled it because I should!

I found this place which has good reviews. Looks worth a try.
http://www.outdoor-emporium.co.uk/about-us/default.aspx

I often use the purchase of boots etc as an excuse for a trip to North Wales or the Peaks or Lakes. Or Nottingham has Castle Mountain and Moor and Cotswold and probably a few others.

(Awaits telling off by pendants with amusement.)
 alimckay 24 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Cotswold Outdoor in Covent Garden will be a good place to start. Then there's Ellis Brigham next door and Snow and Rock in Covent Garden too.
 Slarti B 24 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

In terms of helpfulnessknowledge of staff I would go for Covent Garden Snow & Rock and then Cotswold.

I have bought boots from both and they have no problems with you taking time and trying on lots of different choices. Cotswold and (I think) S&N will also let you try at home for a limited period (provided they are not used outdoors) and exchange/refund if they are not quite right.

I have used Brigham but found them a bit off hand ( maybe I was unlucky) and they didn't do BMC etc discount though that may have changed.
OP BusyLizzie 25 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thank you all. I think it will be Cotswold Outdoors for starters as I am working near there this next week. A major decision, new boots, isn't it!
L
OP BusyLizzie 29 Jan 2015
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Did it, at Cotswold Outdoor. Very helpful member of staff focused on what I wanted and gave me lots of time. Salomon Quest 4D 2; room for orthotics and yet still plenty of room for toes, really good firm grip around the ankles, firm sole, plenty of support. Yum.

L

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...