REVIEW: Jöttnar Fenrir Down Jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 23 Jan 2015
Toby Archer Jottnar Review, 4 kbToby Archer keeps warm wrapped up in the Jottnar Fenrir Down Jacket - taking it out in some pretty damp weather, but that is what it is designed for, right?

"...How much this is the DWR coating on the jacket's shell and how much it is the DOWN-TEK treatment on the down is hard to say, but overall, it doesn't really matter - it works and, surprising myself a little, I would stand by Jöttnar's claim of the jacket being for “cold and damp conditions”..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=6945

galpinos 23 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

850 U.S. or EU?
 David Ponting 23 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

I'm currently dithering between the Fenrir, Fjorm and alternatives, so this is in the nick of time, thanks!

Particularly impressed with the durability/weatherproofness that you mention, but worried by the "trim cut" (I'm not the thinnest of people). Is it a "trim cut" as in only for those of slender waist, or is it a "trim cut" as in 'don't expect to wear the size that should be right by the numbers over lots of layers'
oggie 23 Jan 2015
In reply to David Ponting:

I have to say I think mine is great, sizing is on the small side so I normally find a large a bit baggy but in this case its quite fitted. Quality is top notch, so much so that I think I will look at jottnar for my next shell.

I've found this to be more generous round the middle than the Mountain Equipment light down jacket I had previously
 TobyA 25 Jan 2015

> I'm currently dithering between the Fenrir, Fjorm and alternatives, so this is in the nick of time, thanks!

Was wearing the Fjorm yesterday and glad of it - https://twitter.com/TobyinHelsinki/status/559288862078693377 it a significantly warmer jacket, but of course at the cost of increased weight and bulk…

> Is it a "trim cut" as in only for those of slender waist, or is it a "trim cut" as in 'don't expect to wear the size that should be right by the numbers over lots of layers'

More the latter I would say, but it is slimmer at the waist/bum than some other jackets. I'm about 32/34 waist but I think I have a reasonably prominent bum (I was once even assured this was a good thing by an attractive Australian lady!) but this does mean that I have to pull the Fenrir down over my bum to make the best use of its length and it still has a tendency to ride back up to just below waist height. That's not a problem with the Fjorm or the Bergelmir shell, all in medium.

TobyA 25 Jan 2015
In reply to galpinos:

Good question, I'll ask as I don't know! Do you think it makes a noticeable difference?
 galpinos 25 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I'm not convinced it does make a difference but it does form part of my decision making process as I'm potentially more willing to pay a higher price for a higher quality filling. It plays a part when I'm weighing up perceived value.

I have a ME Lumin at the mo (675 EU and 90/10) and it feels as warm as my old Rab Neutrino but far lighter, cheaper and better fitting! Was plenty warm enough at Burbage North today.

Cuthbert 27 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Does the down come from ethical sources?
 TobyA 27 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Fair question and I don't think they say on the website BUT when I wrote about Jöttnar for Climb magazine, they said they were very aware of environmental issues and fair-working practices with regards to their factories in China, they felt a small company couldn't survive a 'scandal' of the sweat shop type, so I suspect they would have considered this carefully.

I will ask them!
 Cuthbert 27 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. I will await your reply with interest. I hope it's not one of those "we do everything we can..." ones.
 TobyA 28 Jan 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:
Direct from the horses mouth, or -in this case- Tommy, co-founder and director of Jöttnar: the down is ethically sourced and certified non-live plucked.

In reply to galpinos:

Same source: "The fill power rating is based on the EU metric... the US test returns a higher score for the same sample of down. So an EU-rated 850 sample, such as our own, would likely return a 900-925 result if using the US test."

Hope that helps chaps.

Additionally, thanks to BnB who took the non selfy photo of me on the top of Helvellyn used in the review, plus if anyone is interested the video clip embedded in this blog post http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/pinnacle-ridge-st-sunday-cr... show's me wearing the Fenrir in some grotty weather on the top of St Sunday. You can see the limitations of the hood if you are wearing a helmet.
Post edited at 18:46
 Cuthbert 28 Jan 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks.
mccartd 28 Jan 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Toby, you mention this jacket has "plenty of technical features that show Jöttnar is still targeting the technical mountain market with their designs". The features you list are exactly the same as all other brands such as Rab, M.E., TNF, Mammut etc. So what makes this jacket stand out?
 TobyA 29 Jan 2015
In reply to mccartd:

> Toby, you mention this jacket has "plenty of technical features that show Jöttnar is still targeting the technical mountain market with their designs". The features you list are exactly the same as all other brands such as Rab, M.E., TNF, Mammut etc. So what makes this jacket stand out?

Dunno - I haven't reviewed a lightweight down jacket from any of those brands (I do have a now a 19 yr old TNF Nuptse which whilst being an old warhorse, is perhaps unfair to compare to the Fenrir). Each of them MAY produce jackets that I would find just as good as the Jöttnar one. The line you quote is the follow up to me saying the Fenrir is of the style of micro baffled down jackets popular and fashionable over the last few years. My point is that the Fenrir is good for 'proper' climbing/outdoor use within reasons; it's not just a fashion item even if it does look rather nice.

I can compare it to the lightweight down jacket that I do own, a 40 quid Uniqlo one. The Uniqlo ones are unbeatable value, but Jöttnar puts more down in (so its warmer but heavier), the outer nylon is MUCH more water resistant, the down is more water resistant and Jöttnar uses the synthetic insulation in the cuffs and neck. Jöttnar's fit is more tailored too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...