Dark Mountains - Britains' most brutal race?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 22 Jan 2015
I can't see this one being rerouted if it's a bit windy!

http://www.marmot-dark-mountains.com

Fair play to anyone who enters this and gets to the start line with the conditions forecast. Not many fell races, where axe and running crampons are likely to be strongly recommended kit.
 galpinos 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

I 'did' the inaugural Dark Mountains. It's the only race I've DNF'd. Driving rain and knee deep snow in the dark. Started well but slowed at a couple of checkpoints around the 4 hr mark and started to get very cold so made the decision to bail and made our way back to the start (which still took quite a lot of time and effort).

Always fancied another go but for some reason never got round to putting my name down again.....
 steveriley 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

I feel no need to compete in this, I've sent deputies along. Pretty sure my mate Chris is the cover boy on that website and his partner Max came round to borrow an axe last night. Me, I've just had the central heating fixed and have a bit of a tickly throat
 thedatastream 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

We're on the C course this year and I'm suffering from excitement and trepidation in equal measures. Our plan is to go warm, go steady and finish. Here's hoping all the recent night navigation practice will pay off.

If you are going, say hi to the tall chap with a beard and a glazed look - it'll be me
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Maybe I'm being naive but I'm not expecting bad conditions - certainly nothing compared to the Eskdale event in 2013!
Looks like rain this afternoon,. which should clear most of the snow and firm up what remains, then cold and dry for the event (though the tail end of the linear courses could get rained on a bit).
We're doing long score again, and our one aim is to do better than last year when we were late back and lost all our points. I've been in bed with man flu for the last 2 weeks and got tired walking to the shops last night, so I don't think we'll be taking too many risks (other than starting in the first place of course).
 mrconners 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

http://www.thehillultra.com/

Try and complete this abomination.
Hardcore, low key, uncluttered with the myriad of garbage from multinational sponsers sufferfest.
Post edited at 10:59
 Banned User 77 23 Jan 2015
In reply to mrconners:

yet with a hi key race cost..
In reply to mrconners:

> uncluttered with the myriad of garbage from multinational sponsers

which is probably why it's so expensive!
 Bob 23 Jan 2015
In reply to ablackett:

There seems to be a sudden rush of these "hardest" races about, The Spine, The Dragon's Back (I'm fully aware that this isn't "new") and the like. Presumably they are having to sell it to their sponsors.
 The New NickB 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Bob:

If you just go off the websites, the toughest / most extreme / badass event is probably some city centre obstacle course / queue.

Not for me. Did eight miles last night over my local fells, including a couple of miles of 3 foot drifts. Extreme enough to be fun, whilst still actually being fun in the type 1 fun sense.
 galpinos 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Bob:

The Dark Mountains isn't like those races, it's more like a Mountain Marathon without sleeping.
 Pete Houghton 23 Jan 2015
In reply to mrconners:

thehillultra.com

55 times up and down the same route? I had a dull enough time repeating a westwards loop three times to make up the distance to an ultra at a race in Dorset last month, on the one you've linked to I'd die of boredom before collapsing from exhaustion.

Looks horrible!
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Just one finisher last year. Can't think why!
Clauso 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Pete Houghton:

> 55 times up and down the same route? ...

They ought to just go the whole hog and issue their would-be Sisyphus' with boulders, and have done with it.

mountainbagger 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Just one finisher last year. Can't think why!

That was 2013, last year (2014) there were three! THREE WHOLE FINISHERS!
http://www.thehillultra.com/download/i/mark_dl/u/4011797846/4616944733/THe%...

For some reason I think I can do it. Even though all the evidence (my actual fitness and mental strength) says I can't. I think it is the picture on the main page of what looks like an easy and inviting running trail...2.9miles. Easy. Oh...55 times you say? Hmm...
Moley 23 Jan 2015
In reply to mrconners:

The ultrahill looks to me like a total waste of time and energy, what is the point? If you are going to run or walk 150+ miles at least make them all different miles. That's a race for the boring brain dead, not the super tough.
 mountainbagger 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Moley:

In a way, that's why it's so hard. I do think you have to be very tough to complete it and a little bit mad!

If you think that's bad, look up deca triathlon or deca ironman. Imagine doing one of those in a swimming pool and 1k loop for >1000 miles on the bike and >260 miles of running. There are people who have done it! Daft.
In reply to ablackett:

Good luck tomorrow to those doing it (except for long score - can you all be an hour late back please).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...