winter boot recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mick taylor 21 Jan 2015
I increasingly feel the urge to do more winter walking/scrambling. All my other boots have either been lightweights or full on (for steep ice).

So, whats good for someone with slightly broader than average feet, quite stiff for crampons and scrambling/climbing grade 1's and 2's. Scarpa Mantas seem to be all the rage.
 cousin nick 21 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Not trying to be a smarter$e, but boots that fit correctly will be best. Altberg do a range of width fittings, so it could be worth a trip up to Richmond to try some on. I happen to fit Lowa boots very well and have been very pleased with the 'munro' model for scrambling and winter walking. SWMBO has the Scarpa Mantas, which, as you say are very popular, but that may just reflect Scarpa's global marketing. Whatever you choose, get them fitted - a good fitter/sales assistant should be able to advise and also make adjustments e.g. volume adjusters to ensure that your feet are held snuggly in the boot without excessive movement, yet still have enough room (SWMBO is a podiatrist and goes on forever about this stuff!).
Other than fitting, a good protective rand helps avoid damage to the upper when scrambling.
FWIW I use, depending on season: Brasher Supalight, Lowa Munro, Scarpa Omega.
N
mick taylor 21 Jan 2015
In reply to cousin nick:

Thanks for this.

Just checked Altberg - notice they us Cumbrian sheep counting in their names.
 AllanMac 21 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Scarpa have lost their way with the newest Manta pro GTX model in my opinion. The latest incarnations are a fabric/Goretex offering, and the last they use to make them seems narrower - more suited to European feet rather than broader British feet like yours and mine. The pair I had made my feet sore and hot on longer treks, so had to sell them.

If you can get hold of a pair of all-leather Mantas (ie the model before the pro GTX, in blue leather), I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. They are a completely different animal to the pro GTX and are broader fitting.
Removed User 21 Jan 2015
In reply to AllanMac:
I'd give a thumbs up for the old style Mantas. I use yeti gaitors on them and my feet are always dry. Can't think why yeti gaitors aren't more poplar? In winter they are my don't leave home without them bit of kit.

Pbob 22 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

Altberg is a good place to start. I had to buy size 10 in Mantas but didn't get on with them. I went to Altberg and left with size 8. Cheaper than Scarpa. Better fit. Very well made boots. And I've also noticed the difference is weight on my feet. They only do one crampon compatible though.
 Jomo020 23 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:

I can't rate the Scarpa Charmoz highly enough. They're my go-to boot year round.

Have used them for three years now, extensive UK summer scrambling, low grade winter climbing & alpine mountaineering to PD+. They take a C2 crampon and are super light but I've never found them cold. I've always found them to have great balance and precision on rock and have climbed in them to about 6A without feeling the need to switch into my rock shoes. In winter I only switch up to my B3s when I'm heading to grade IV.

You seem to be able to pick them up at around the £180-200 mark now.

Fit's obviously a big part of it, but if these fit you, they are super-versatile and money well spent

mick taylor 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Jmoyes:

would you say narrow or wide fitting?
 RomTheBear 23 Jan 2015
In reply to mick taylor:
I can't recommend enough the Scarpa Charmoz. I would give exactly her same feedback as Jmoyes.
Not only it's a great winter walking boot, but it's also stiff enough to take you up to grade 2 terrain, and it's quite light. Excellent for summer scrambling as well. I have wide feet and they fit me perfectly so they should work for you.
Post edited at 20:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...