Where to buy olive oil packets in UK for backpacking cooking?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nutme 20 Jan 2015
My name is Val and I am an olive oil addict..
It happened I run out of supply!

Where to buy olive oil packets in UK for backpacking cooking? Normally I get all my oil from Mediterranean countries during my trips, but had a misfortune recently.

Something like:
http://www.bunkycooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Olive-Oil-Cake-4.jpg
 JayPee630 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

Why don't you just get a small Nalgene bottle or use a tiny refillable container?
OP nutme 20 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Convenience of use really. I tried many different approaches of caring oil, but packets are just the absolute winner.
 Owen W-G 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

Cost per ml in a packet is v expensive
Use camera roll tubes. Added advantage is you can add pepper, chilli sauce etc in advance
abseil 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Owen W-G:

> Use camera roll tubes...

But won't they leak? And can't you buy plastic bottles of olive oil?
 Toccata 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

I use a 'sterile universal' sample pot. Carries 25 mls.
In reply to Owen W-G:

> Use camera roll tubes.

My experience is that the lids aren't secure enough or oil-tight. I don't really want a rucksack covered in olive oil.

Yes, pre-packaged olive oil will be more expensive than a big glass bottle, but it's still only a few pence, and you're paying for convenience.
 james wardle 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

you can buy on amazon in the uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QRNFC9S

I have seen them in small italian Delis (the one in St Albans stocks them)
OP nutme 20 Jan 2015
In reply to james wardle:

Thank you. I will look for local deli.
 GarethSL 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Toccata:

I am completely stealing this idea if you don't mind. I have a load of pump lid hand sanitizer bottles that never get used... HP, Tomato, Worcestershire, Oil... the possibilities are endless
 eltankos 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:
1) Buy miniature of whisky/ vodka/ gin/ other.
2) Drink contents in the manner of your desire.
3) Fill bottle with olive oil.
 GarethSL 20 Jan 2015
In reply to Toccata:

And I've just realised that hand sanitizer pots aren't what you meant but meh... UKC now does smileys

Shameless test...

:P
calumr 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

Melt shut one end of a plastic drinking straw, fill with olive oil, melt shut the other end. Repeat for however many you need.
 Flinticus 20 Jan 2015
What's with the need for disposal packets? Just re-use a small plastic bottle with a secure lid. I've used ones that formerly contained medicine.

Its like these disposable coffee packets. A waste of money and more rubbish to sit in landfill.
 d_b 20 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

I got a load of small food grade plastic bottles years ago. You can get them for not very much at most outdoor shops.
Moley 20 Jan 2015
In reply to eltankos:

> 1) Buy miniature of whisky/ vodka/ gin/ other.

> 2) Drink contents in the manner of your desire.

> 3) Fill bottle with olive oil.

Surely 3) should read: Fill with more of the same for next camping trip?
OP nutme 21 Jan 2015

Thanks for suggestions!
I have tried many of those methods, but don't mind paying a bit extra for convenience with oil. To be honest I just don't want to spent any time preparing food for backpacking.

Found those at Portuguese supermarket not very far from home. Got few dozens for 25p each.
Post edited at 10:35
 Robert Durran 21 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

> Convenience of use really. I tried many different approaches of caring oil, but packets are just the absolute winner.

But is it not inconvenient that they can't be resealed (or if they can, will probably leak anyway?)
 Flinticus 21 Jan 2015
In reply to nutme:

How more convenient is it to pour olive oil from your normal 'at home supply' into a small bottle than spend time ordering etc over the internet or trying to locate a certain shop??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...