Lake District roads- newlands Hause

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning on heading over to the lakes tomorrow, but what are the higher roads like? in particular, the one over to buttermere from newlands? Is it open, or is it better to plan on going the long way round and up the valley past crummack water?

Cheers
Gregor
 Simon Theobald 17 Jan 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Dunmail Raise was snowy for most of the day so Newlands Hause will almost certainly be pretty treacherous tomorrow morning
In reply to Simon Theobald:

Hmmm. I think it will be the low road if I go to buttermere then... Dont want an epic before I even get to either car park!
 OllieF 17 Jan 2015

I drove over dunmail raise at around 21:00 today, snowing hard, tried braking and nothing happened if this helps at all! Very glad I didn't go over Kirkstone pass back to Carlisle like I originally intended. You should be fine, take snow chains however just in case!
In reply to OllieF:

snow chains! don't even have winter tyres...

so really dont want to be messing about on steep slippery roads

what about the low level roads? weatherline mentioned fresh powder to valley level today- off the main roads, are the access roads up borrowdale/littledale/up lorton vale to buttermere likely to be clear, or has the snow affected them today?

cheers
gregor
 mike123 18 Jan 2015
Looking out the window (just west of lorton) hard frost on the van but no snow on the ground , lorton road will probably free of snow but likely to be icy to the butter mere turn depends if they ve gritted that far , the gritter was sat at four lane ends just outside cock early last night , so likely they have. After the the butter mere turn likely to be very icy but passable " with care " . H T h .
Post edited at 07:17
 Tom the tall 18 Jan 2015
In reply to mike123:
Just walked the dog in portinscale, keswick. Lots of wet run off has frozen hard leaving treacherous black ice even at low level. Drive very carefully, would definitely avoid passes.
 mike123 18 Jan 2015
In reply to Tom the tall: yep +1, i ve just come back to cock from keswick for ski sticks roads are f ing lethal, take great care. winter tyres and lost traction a couple of times

In reply to thread:

thanks for the info everyone- i left it a bit later and didnt get to keswick till after ten, low level roads seemed mostly clear arround Bassenthwaite lake. Went up Skiddaw Little man, up the South West arete mentioned by Wainwright. After horrible going lower down, found some good sport on short steps on the rib, spindrift and hoaring on the rocks, turned into a good day out!

cheers
gregor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...