Arcteryx Venta MX jacket vs ???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drm72 14 Jan 2015
Hello geary minded types! My berghaus gore-tex is now nearly 20 years old and although it's still going strong (they don't make them like they used to!), it doesn't really fulfil my needs since moving to France and getting more into ice and alpinism.
Ive been perusing extensively and it seems obvious that the best jacket on the market for me is the Arcteryx Venta MX Hoody. But at €400 it aint cheap. I was hoping for a 100 off that and I'll still be struggling then!
I'm going for that stretchy close softshell fit with a helmet hood, harness friendly pockets, no lift (ie well tucked into harness) when reaching up and - often missing on softshells - big long underarm vent zips - I find these essential when I dont want (or cant) take the jacket off when I'm working hard between frigid belays or when skinning up snow slogs. Good water and wind resistance and good durability.
The Venta MX seems to have all that, but is there an alternative, perhaps without the flashy logo? (Or if you know where I can get an MX for €300, let me know!)
Thanks for any advice!
 GarethSL 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Darren Moss:

I cant offer a vs option. But I have been using a Venta MX for around 5 years.

If you do find one cheap, I can guarantee you will not be disappointed. Assuming you will use it purely as an alpine/ice jacket then there is nothing I would recommend more.

Many people denounce windstopper as being too sweaty and use in the UK has given it a real stigma, but the Venta is the most 'breathable' (read comfortable) jacket I have used.

If you have long arms or a looking for articulation then the fit is exceptional and allows for good layering despite being slim fit. I also like the longer length body. Durability is covered, you may be surprised at how not soft the main face fabric is, however it is exceptionally stretchy.

It is a highly underrated jacket and hard to find, plus it doesn't come in many flavours. Only noticeable downsides are that the cuffs are narrow, which means you only get about 1.5" of adjustment so getting over bulky gloves can be tricky (I use a gauntlet so never been an issue). Also the collar is low, it has far less neck/face coverage than other jackets.

This is the cheapest I can come across but only in XL:

http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/arcteryx-venta-mx-hoody-cognac-cognac-xl/?affsrc=...

You can buy direct from Arc'teryx and try to pay in a different currency too, which may shave a few cents.
(by this I mean, if you pay in pounds you pay the eqv of 450eur, pay in nok you pay the eqv of 320eur)
No idea if this actually works.
drm72 15 Jan 2015
In reply to GrendeI:
Cheers for that - yeah I found that site but wrong size. Ive asked them if theyre getting more in - waiting response.
The mx has had loads of good reviews. Good to hear the same from a "real" person! Maybe I'll just have to save up more / sell my body.

Update: received response - no more coming
Post edited at 12:24
 jonah jones 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Darren Moss:

Hi, what size are you looking for ? Was just about to put a size small (dark blue, 38 inch chest, very good condition, worn twice) on eBay.

Jonah
drm72 15 Jan 2015
In reply to jonah jones:

Thanks Jonah but I'm a large. Bummer. Though it's supposed to be really stretchy...
 jonah jones 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Darren Moss:

It's not quite that stretchy...... Was fine when I bought it a year ago, but I've been doing lots of training, and it's now too tight across the shoulders. Gutted because its a great jacket. Ebay here I come.

Hope you find one in your size ,

Jonah

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...