Decathlon hoody fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 14 Jan 2015
Anyone used this? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/bionnassay-100-men-orange-id_8317449.html
Looking for a hooded fleece that can go over a helly hansen base layer if cold or just next to the skin if not too cold.
Was looking at a R1 but none of the sales have them in medium.
 climbwhenready 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

> Was looking at a R1 but none of the sales have them in medium.

if you want black or red...

http://www.countryside.co.uk/patagonia/mens-r1-fleece-hoody
In reply to fire_munki:

Whilst it's similar in design, the fabric is rather different; it's much more like PowerStretch, but with a denser outer face, that is more wind resistant, and feels more 'shell-like'. It doesn't have the wicking waffle inner face of PowerDry, either. These aren't necessarily bad features; they're just different to those of the R1...

And, even allowing for Decathlon's usual small sizing, it's very snug. I'm normally M in Decathlon stuff, but I recall thinking that I'd probably go large in this, when I've tried it on (not bought one, but tempted a number of times, especially at the £20 rrp...). Considering how big my S R1 pullover is, I'd be tempted to suggest you go for L (certainly), or even XL (buy both, send one back?).
 galpinos 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Don't forget the ME Eclipse:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/eclipse-hooded-zip-t

Used in prefernce to my R1 now.
 BnB 14 Jan 2015
In reply to galpinos:

+1 to this ^^^ and we're not the only ones http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Fleece-Jacket-Reviews/Mountain-Equipment-Ecli...

I got mine for under £50 new I think online from the epicentre in Ambleside
 nathan79 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

At that price I'm tempted to pop in to my local Decathlon after work to see if they gave any.
 galpinos 14 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

I used to live in my R1 but now live in my Eclipse. My wife if fed up with me wearing them though, "Do you have to always look like a tw*t" seems to be an all too common phrase.
 BnB 14 Jan 2015
In reply to galpinos:

They do get some looks in the pub, don't they?
In reply to nathan79:

Have a look at this, too; a waffle-inner face, light mid/thick base layer now reduced to £11. I've been stitched into them since I bought them.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwinter-500-t-shirt-id_8319665.html

<evil laugh>
OP fire_munki 14 Jan 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Really wanted a hood otherwise that would be a bargain.

What's the ME top like without a base layer, ie right next to the skin.
 galpinos 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Nice than my R1 (but my R1 is old). It is thinner than an R1 but better cut, nicer material and far superior hood. Ideal for a heavy base/light mid whereas the R1 is more a heavier mid.

(Both get worn, just the Eclipse more so)
 JayPee630 14 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I find it works best next to the skin, I don't like wearing it as midlayer, it feels like it 'sticks' to the base and isn't as comfortable.

I use it as a base layer in cool/cold weather in conjunction with some combination of a hooded windshirt, Rab Polartec Alpha hoody, non-membrane Montane hooded softshell, and then a waterproof and/or synthetic belay jacket on top if needed.
OP fire_munki 14 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

Ah, aim is on Dartmoor where helly base + softshell is good but it rains so hardshell goes on which then bakes you to go to R1/ME thingy/decathlon fleece and my hardshell.

Or in Scottish winter, helly + fleece + softshell with hardshell when the heavens open up.
 Mal Grey 14 Jan 2015

Hmm, I looked at those and thought they were great value, but not as thick as my constantly-lived-in R1 pullover and couldn't decide on colour so I walked away. Should have bought one there and then I think.

R1 seems pricey BUT mine is lasting extremely well and must have been worn for over 400 days now. The quality is top notch, and no other fabric seems as warm for the weight, or as breathable and good at wicking. But I got mine on a previous company staff deal, and can't quite bring myself to splash the full cash on a replacement.

In reply to Mal Grey:
> thought they were great value, but not as thick as my constantly-lived-in R1 pullover

If you mean the Techwinter shirt, then yes, they're much thinner than an R1 (which I find thicker than most '100 weight' fleeces). I was suggesting it as something different to look at, not as an R1-alike (further temptation for nathan79, hence the evil laugh...). Sorry, I should have been clearer.
Post edited at 17:34
In reply to fire_munki:

Another alternative is the Berghaus Smoulder, now in version 3. Same design influence as the R1 hoodie, but BH wimped out on the purist half-zip hoodie, and split it into pullover and jacket versions.

http://www.berghaus.com/mens-smoulder-iii-hoody-jacket/420973.html

To go back to the issue of R1 thickness; I'm sure the R1 has got thicker over the years, as I'm sure I remember seeing an early hoodie that was a much lighter fabric, much more like 'proper' PowerDry. Or am I misremembering?
 BnB 14 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

> I use it as a base layer in cool/cold weather in conjunction with some combination of a hooded windshirt, Rab Polartec Alpha hoody, non-membrane Montane hooded softshell, and then a waterproof and/or synthetic belay jacket on top if needed.

It's great under a softshell isn't it? How do you find it under the Alpha. Too warm? No?
In reply to fire_munki:

The ME Eclipse Hoody is fantastic, hood stretches easily over helmet, facemask covers nose.

I have recently acquired a Patagonia Cap 4 Hoody, hood doesn't stretch over helmet though!

Stuart
OP fire_munki 15 Jan 2015
In reply to Stuart the postie:

If the hoody goes over the helmet what's it like without a helmet? All the questions here since down in deepest darkest Devon we don't see much kit shops!
OP fire_munki 15 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Hmmm that might not be the one if it doesn't work over a helly style base.
Need it to:
Work over base layer under softshell for cold days.
Work as the base layer for warmer days.
Work over a t shirt would be nice for cragging.

Sorry for lots of questions from users but 70 plus quid is a lot of money!
 More-On 15 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

You could use the 'new' top over the base layer when cold and use the base layer when its warmer? I use a Rab baseline hoodie over a base layer t-shirt. Combined with a non membrane softshell and/or hardshell these two cover all the bases for me whether walking or climbing. This works all year round and I just add a Montane prism and/or Simond belay jacket in the winter when required.
 JayPee630 15 Jan 2015
In reply to BnB:

It's warm but OK if vented properly and I manage my speed/temp. TBH I barely use a thicker synthetic now, I seem to be able to get away with an appropriate base layer and then the Polartec Alpha, with sometimes the Montane instead or as well.
In reply to fire_munki:

> Hmmm that might not be the one if it doesn't work over a helly style base.

Which might not be the one? Your reply is to your OP...

I went and had another look at the Decathlon hoody last night... It really is very close-fitting, and the M was smaller than I'd want, and the sleeves are very tight, even on my puny arms. Even the L had fairly tight sleeves. The design is very simple, and the arm raise cuff pull/hem lift isn't great. It didn't work for me, and that's the same feeling I've had before when I've tried it on.

As is commonly found with Decathlon, their in-store prices are at significant variance with their online prices; the hoody was marked at £25 (vs £20 online), and the Techwinter shirt at £16 (vs £11 online). I came away empty-handed. Well, not quite; I picked up a couple of pairs of their rather nice ski socks for £5 (discounted from £20).

> Need it to:
> Work over base layer under softshell for cold days.
> Work as the base layer for warmer days.
> Work over a t shirt would be nice for cragging.

You're a bit between posts, here. If you want it to work effectively as a base layer on its own, then it ought to be pretty close-fitting to wick properly. This requirement is somewhat mutually exclusive with fitting over other layers, especially a t-shirt (assuming you mean a casual, fairly loose, cotton T). It's the problem with all 'confused' thick base/thin mid layers; neither one thing nor the other...

BTW, have you seen this thread...?

www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=606488

There are a limited number of R1 hoodies, and ME Eclipses...
 BnB 15 Jan 2015
In reply to JayPee630:

I wear the Eclipse under an Alpha vest and over the famous mesh. Works a treat. Must give the long sleeve Alpha a try over the microgrid but I usually wear something lighter under insulated sleeves. I get hot arms!! It'll be Gore-Tex all the way tomorrow though on the Ben I fear.
In reply to fire_munki:

It's fine to wear under helmet, just like a balaclava. The fleece is super stretchy, I rate them.

Stuart
 PN82 18 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I have the decathlon hooded fleece in orange and paid £24 for it at the time. An absolute bargain! Warm, soft, light and comfortable. I looked at the Patagonia equivalent and would not pay the extra for it as the extra cost would bring very minimal benefits for a much higher price.

I can't recommend the decathlon fleece highly enough

MtnGeekUK 18 Jan 2015

So go up a size for close fitting and reasonable comfort, rather than gimp tight?
 John Cooke 18 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I have one of these and really like it. It's a lot like the Patagonia Piton Hoody, than the R1 Hoody. Fits great.

Compared to the R1H it is thicker, stretchier, more windproof and has a full length zip - more of a winter piece.

Compared the the Piton, it's slightly longer in length and has thumb loops, which the Piton doesn't.

I love the balaclava hood on the R1 hoody. Piton and Quecha hoody good but not full face/balaclava.

I own all 3 tops. R1H for spring-autumn trad and mountain activities. Quecha and Piton for winter climbing, skiing, bouldering. Probably prefer the Quecha to the Piton and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Decathlon do a more similar jacket to the R1H - don't know the name, but it has a rubber band on the inside of the waist which rides up and the hood isn't a great fit. It's not worth considering.

In reply to MtnGeekUK:

To be honest with you, I'd have to go up two sizes over my 'industry standard' S for the Decathlon hoody. Which is one size up on my normal Decathlon M.

Really, that hoody isn't well cut, and is poor compared to the Techwinter shirt, which, admittedly, is a different beast altogether; near Arc'teryx quality at bargain basement price.
 Freddie 1 18 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I wore this Decathlon hoody over the top of my Mountain Equipment Eclipse with a Rab hard shell over the top this weekend on Ben Nevis. We did Point 5 and I felt v comfortable and at a perfect temperature all throughout the day whether climbing or belaying in spindrift. Thoroughly recommended.
In reply to fire_munki:
John & Freddie's posts how just how much opinion varies, and, I guess, how important fit is. It seems to work for them (and they've used it, I haven't). As much as I like a bargain, and gear whore that I am, I've not been able to bring myself to buy one, because I can't see it working for me. But it might suit you, as it suits John & Freddie.
Post edited at 01:05
 MtnGeekUK 19 Jan 2015

Cheers very much. Have a Patagonia hooded fleece, but can't really use for anything other than casual as the fit around the neck / chin is so poor.

Am now interested in this techwinter top. As the Decathlon site is so poor, does anyone have a link please?

In reply to MtnGeekUK:

> Cheers very much. Have a Patagonia hooded fleece, but can't really use for anything other than casual as the fit around the neck / chin is so poor.

Do have a read of the recent comments posted by Stuart, PN82, John & Freddie; they seem very happy with their hoodies (and they've used them), so maybe I'm just being picky, or 'not getting it', or the fit doesn't work for me.

> Am now interested in this techwinter top. As the Decathlon site is so poor, does anyone have a link please?

Link and comments posted earlier, but it's here:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwinter-500-t-shirt-id_8319665.html

Note that this is NOT an R1 replacement at all; it's much thinner and has no hood. I was just trying to tempt someone, and noting the difference in design quality between the hoody.
Tony Simpson 19 Jan 2015

I bought one of the said hoodies instore this weekend.

The price paid instore was the same as that on the internet. 19.99

just because they don't mark the price down on the goods does not mean its not marked down…. look on the shelf ticket….
In reply to Tony Simpson:

Yeah, that's what I worked out; their prices change so often that it would too difficult to change the item tags. But, in the case of my store, not even the 'shelf tickets' are updated. If they even exist, that is...

But it does seem that the price actually charged at the till is the same as the online price. Just that they may be putting people off buying stuff, because it doesn't seem as cheap as it actually is.

I ordered a pair of trousers into the store once, to try, but it took them three attempts to actually place the warehouse order. By which time, the price on their system had dropped from £30 to £10, although online was still showing £30. The checkout charged me £10. Result!
 MtnGeekUK 19 Jan 2015

But its not available in green!

Cheers for the info...
Bellie 22 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

and to the Capt. and Mtn Geek...

I'm usually a standard M (38-39" chest) and their stuff fits ok in the main. I've had this hoodie in mind as a kind of all encompassing base/mid layer for winter. I took the plunge with a medium - even after Capts. comments on size (ordered online, now I've moved away from close proximity to a store) and was disappointed when on first inspection the label said Med (36-37"chest) since when was that Medium!? but it fits ok - as I wanted a close-ish fit anyway and this type of insulation works best that way. It suits me fine over the top of a thermal t shirt and doesn't look too tight. Pie eaters beware tho! The hood fits ok - not too tight and I reckon I could size up to their Large (38-40") but the hood would be looser as well as the fit!

I know this won't suit everyone. I have a similar style top from Mountain Warehouse (this insulation is great in winter) but no full zip or hood and I actually went down a size there to a small to get the same 'athletic' fit. Their Mediums usually fit a bit sack like on me.

The good thing is that I can wear an extra layer over it if I stop, without it becoming bulky, and a shell over that if necessary, and unzip the thing if I'm warm - unlike my MW one.

In reply to Bellie:

Well, coincidentally, I had another look last night, as I'd popped in to pick up an online order in-store, and decided to have another look in light of other comments.

I tried the orange M again, and the sleeves were close, but not tight, but the body was very snug. I'm not a wedge-shaped superhero, but a weedy 36" chest and 32" waist.

I looked for a L to try again, but there were none left. But there was another M in black, Aha! This was nothing like as tight in the body, so maybe that orange M I've been trying is a bit of an aberration...

The pricing is now inline with the website; £20.

I also had a very quick look at the Bionnassay 500 soft shell (£40), which fitted perfectly in M, although there's no adjustment at all on the hood, and the Bionnassay 700 fleece jacket, which is a waffle-inner fleece; a bit more R1-like, but lighter. That fit nicely, too, but the armscye design is poor; there's not enough ease for good arm movement, so it gets tight when your arm is taken behind you to above the head.

Then I got an email this morning, advertising the softshell at £30, although when I follow the link to their website, it still says £40...
Bellie 22 Jan 2015

Mine's the black one... so maybe you are right. I've found a big difference in size in batches of M t shirts I've had from them.

nathan79 23 Jan 2015

Popped onto Decathlon today and though I didn't like the hoody, I couldn't resist the techwinter 500 in that fetching orange.
Look forward to seeing how it compares to my Marmot thermo half-zip which is many times the price Rep(though I got one for £35)
 Phil West 24 Jan 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I went and bought one today. Had to go Large size and it's very snug. I'm normally a Medium. I think it'll be great under a softshell.

Cheers

Phil
In reply to fire_munki:
Well, since I popped in to see if their 'last two days of sale' had anything interesting, I finally succumbed to a medium black...

And, with time to inspect it closer, there are some odd things about it.

The design and build of the sleeves is different; the left-hand sleeve is constructed from three panels, using colour-contrasting, flat-locked seams, and a conventional overlocked seam to form the sleeve tube. The shape is the same as the one-piece RH sleeve, so I can only conclude that the flat locked seams are there for style, to match the seam used for the small chest pocket. Maybe they managed to squeeze a bit more out of the fabric roll with this panel cutting arrangement... The RH sleeve has an extra piece flat-locked on at the cuff, so maybe they really were trying to maximise fabric use. But I still suspect they were going for an 'asymmetric style'.

Oh, and cap sleeves aren't as good as raglan sleeves for a garment like this; a raglan sleeve gives better movement, without bunching on the shoulder. The hoody does have a very square-shouldered sleeve cap, which accentuates the bunching...

If they wanted to use flat-locked seams somewhere, a better place would have been in the three-panel hood, and maybe the hood/body seam, which are conventional overlocked seams.

The close fit is also odd, even worn over one of their base layer products, in the same size, it's a tad too tight. And I don't fancy wearing it as a base layer, tucked into trousers with a full-length YKK size 5 coil zip. Whilst I understand that fit is very personal, since we're all different sizes, it's markedly different to their other similar products in the same notional size.

I also had another look at the Bionnassay 700 fleece jacket, and noted a lot of unnecessary seams there, too, as well as the terrible armscye design. Shame, because the waffle-inner fabric feels quite nice, and could easily make a nice R1 hoody clone...

I think some more feedback will be provided...
Post edited at 15:18
 Nick_Scots 23 Feb 2015

I just got a £24.99 hoody fleece, no pit zips but grid fleece. Long tail at the back with synches so tight fitting and 4 way stretch. Very well made with lots fo panels for good fitting.

Tkmax is where I bought it, lady in the shop said any size not in store you can buy online. But, can't find the product in the website.

The brand was 'Avalanche'. Some nice fleece shirts too for much cheapness.

http://www.avalanchewear.com/ecommerce/mens/jackets-vests/base-activewear/k...
In reply to Scott_vzr:

Ah yes, I noted that hoody on this thread:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=609257

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...