What to do in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goatee 11 Jan 2015
Hmmm, things are looking decidedly wintry this week and cold next weekend. I have never been to Snowdonia in proper winter conditions ( I normally head to Scotland) but I am thinking of going over next weekend for 3 or 4 days. Problem is I really don't know what to aim for or indeed where. Talking maybe grade 3 or 4 if I have a partner or 1 or 2 solo. I would appreciate some guidance.
 earlsdonwhu 11 Jan 2015
In reply to goatee:

Not sure where you got the decidedly wintry from..... Forecast ( xc weather ) looks blooming wet and horrible. I don 't think you will find anything which requires any pointy stuff to ascend it!
 Dr.S at work 11 Jan 2015
In reply to goatee:

For when the weather does come in - and Snowdonia is very much a target of opportunity rather than a banker:

for your solo stuff:

Snowdon horseshoe
Tryfan North Ridge
Bristly ridge
Crib Lem spur
Broad gully
Hourglass gully
Hidden gully

will get you around the area and give you a good introduction to the area, I'd add Cnefion arete as although its above your solo grade range, its feels pretty secure to me (YMMMV etc).
OP goatee 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Dr.S at work:

Thanks for that. They look like the business. As for wintry, well its supposed to be cold Wed & Thurs so we will see.
 Got a job rob 11 Jan 2015
In reply to goatee:

Look up Sergeants Gully/Parsley Fern and idwal stream way. Very nice low grade ice routes. Soloed both had loverly days out.
 Neil Anderson 11 Jan 2015
In reply to Got a job rob:

I know it's gone cold today but was on the hill Thursday and there was only the odd patch of snow, few sq mtres left and that was high up on the Carnedds . Ground was very wet and running water everywhere. Will need a sustained spell to bring anything into nick, or a good dump of snow followed by decent freeze-thaw cycles. Sorry to be depressing and North Wales can be fickle and change quickly but at the moment hill walking or rock boots are order of the day...
 iksander 12 Jan 2015
In reply to earlsdonwhu:

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Snowdon/6day/top if this is anything to go by should be some snow around by the weekend, but maybe doubtful if any ice or nevee would form by then - ridges probably a better bet than gullies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...