Some questions about SIMOND Mountaineering pants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ylem 11 Jan 2015
Hi!

I know SIMOND Mountaineering trousers are very popular here.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-700-trousers-id_8100490.html

I cannot try them on before buy so have some questions:

1. What inseam length do they have?
I wear 30w34l denim pants and most of outdoor pants are short for me. Will this pans be long enough?

2. Is non-membrane version windproof enough for 10-15 m/s (30 miles per hour) and -10-15 C

3. Have membrane version any issues with breathing in deep subzero temperatures?

Thank you! (Sorry for my English)
 angry pirate 11 Jan 2015
In reply to ylem:

Hi fella. I have a pair and really rate them.
1. I'm a 32 waist and 34 leg and medium fits me fine. I was worried that they'd be too short but they are perfect.
2. They are pretty windproof. No idea re wind speed but they are good for cold, windy mountain days (or as I'm increasingly finding, standing in the park pushing my kids on the swings in winter!) In sub-zero temps they are good if you're moving but you can wear long johns underneath if it's really cold.
3. Mine are non-membrane and breath beautifully.

Puppythedog 11 Jan 2015
In reply to ylem:

I wore them with Long johns in minus fifteen to minus twenty without issue. Hope that helps.
 alasdair19 13 Jan 2015
In reply to ylem:

at winds speed 50 km/h your gonna be cold.

very adaptable/versatile as with careful layering you can use them from +10 to -10
nikkormat 13 Jan 2015
In reply to ylem:

> 3. Have membrane version any issues with breathing in deep subzero temperatures?

I really like Decathlon gear (I worked for them for two years so have a pretty good idea of most of it), but I've never owned one of their waterproofs, because the breathability rating always looks low in comparison to other (admittedly more expensive) brands. The 700 trousers have a RET of 12, whereas eVent and Gore-Tex garments seem to be more in the 4.5-6 region (a lower number being more breathable). Maybe I'm misunderstanding the RET system, but it's always put me off the Quechua/Simond hard shells. The soft shell gear is ace though.
ylem 13 Jan 2015
In reply to alasdair19:

What outer layer do people use e.g. at high altitude? It's dry there so there is no reason to use membranes.

The wind itself is not a problem at all for completely non-membrane nylon with high density of "fibers".
I've been having DIY pants of this old school style, but now they are starting to get appart and want something a bit more comfortable (and cool looking
 daftdazza 13 Jan 2015
In reply to ylem:
I have used the non membrane pants a lot ski touring in Scotland and the alps in dire weather, had wind last year that was that bad I had to crawl along the summit of Bynack More, I felt no wind getting through the pants so I think there decent for most conditions. Plus they breathe great in warm spring touring conditions. I find them good in cold windy conditions on there own. Never had to layer them. But I have only ski toured in them, maybe more likely to get cold climbing in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...