New Lake District BMC 'White Guide'

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The topos are brilliant. This is a valuable resource. Although I think 'turf' really should be referred to as vegetation...

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/new-lake-district-winter-conditions-guide-launched

Still wonder whether the latest Lakes winter guide could have been more explicit about mixed routes that don't involve 'turf' as the Scottish guidebooks tend to do...

NMM

John Kelly 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:

good stuff, very clear and accessible
 3leggeddog 09 Jan 2015

Brought to you by the same people who brought you

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/arcteryx-lakeland-revival

Plants are only precious in the winter
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Interesting point! There's a couple of crags in there that are on the 'do not winter climb' list but are on the 'need cleaning of vegetation list'...

NMM
Lostsky 10 Jan 2015

I think where not winter climb list at the end of the document is more about ethics and damage to summer routes? The topos are about damage to vegetation?
 John Kelly 10 Jan 2015
In reply to 3leggeddog:

excellent point

Not sure how much cleaning you would have to do to make Crustacean traverse VD Side Pike a worthwhile undertaking

whole idea was misconceived - popular routes will get sufficient traffic to keep them in acceptable nick

in any case figuring out many stalks of heather will hold your body weight makes it trad
john
 Gael Force 10 Jan 2015

It's a load of bollocks...
 John Kelly 10 Jan 2015
In reply to Gael Force:

because?
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2015

> Interesting point! There's a couple of crags in there that are on the 'do not winter climb' list but are on the 'need cleaning of vegetation list'...

But the "does not climb in winter" list clearly states that the reason is due to the high quality rock climbing found on them, not the risk of damaging vegetation.

I've not heard any suggestion that the "need cleaning" list included anything where the problem was caused by rare or protected vegetation, rather than things like heather, grass, or general filth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...