Bell tent advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Does anyone have any advice regarding possible issues with putting up a canvas bell tent in the garden and leaving it up throughout the spring/summer/autumn and it's resistance/usability due to permanent pitching.

We have a large paddock and I was thinking of buying one and putting it up for the children (and possibly us adults) to camp/play in throughout most of the year. Am I dreaming? in reality will it become a leaking, moldy, damp, unpleasant space rather than the idyllic impression given by the websites that peddle the things?

I am sure it would it be much better to put it up and take it down as needed, but am looking for the easy (lazy) option as it wouldn't be an eyesore for us and would prob get used more if permanently up

cheers in advance of any tips/do's/dont's/avoid like the plagues
 althesin 06 Jan 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

Have had a 5M bell tent for a couple of years, but have only used it for weeks at a time. The 5m is a bit like a big top and is a popular place for playing/ sleepovers.
They are very quick to pitch so putting them up and down (in the dry) is easy. long term pitching will fade the canvas a bit (thats's a good look) and leave a patch of dead grass behind.
There are "glamping sites" that rent out bell tents that are pitched for the whole season that don't seem to have any trouble. Re-proofing helps to shed water and dry quicker but i haven't got round to doing mine yet, you shouldn't get mildew unless you store it wet.
In reply to althesin:

Thx for the info, sounds like it could be not too much trouble. If it is as easy to pitch as you say then maybe we will just stick it up when it suits rather than leave it out. I think we will give it a go.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...