Socks for Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stani49 03 Jan 2015
Hi all,

Just wondering what socks folk use for Scottish Winter climbing?
I only have the Smartwool Hiking Light Crew socks and the Smartwool Red Heavy crew/Expedition socks which I used in the Himalayas...
I've been using the Hiking socks for previous Winter trips and found them to be warm enough but wasn't sure if I'm missing a trick.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex
 KinderMike 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49: I'm a huge fan of Bridgedale socks which I use for both summer and winter walking/mountaineering. They seem to last for ever. At the end of the day, if your current socks do the job, why change them?
 Big Steve 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49:

I have awesome sockage available on my website, www.sportssocks.co.uk
My range will be increasing in the next few weeks so come back if you dont find what you want this time
 PN82 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49:

I have been using the red and grey smartwool mountaineer socks in Scottish winter for nearly a decade and they are spot on as long as your boot choice is right too. I use scarpa freney xt for Scottish winter which are also my summer alpine boots and find my feet are ideal temp generally. Of course other factors affect temperature of toes so each to their own
 gerryneely 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49:
https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/womens/accessories/socks/protrek-sock-8160

Took me ages to find a shop that sold them. Just ordered a couple more pairs. I wear them with a pair of running liner socks underneath.

I have just realised after many years that these are womens socks! Still if you're a size 9 or under then they're fine!
Post edited at 21:01
 PPP 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49:

Smartwool is owned by The North Face, hence Bridgedale! Seriously, Bridgedale socks rock. They almost never smell bad and your soles start to hurt first that you end up taking ibuprofen/paracetamol painkillers every 2 hours before you get any blisters. I don't think I ever had blisters with (dry) mid weight socks.
 Billhook 03 Jan 2015
In reply to Stani49:

Why do you want to know what socks people use when they go climbing? Maybe they don't go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...