Boots for Alpine winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkinscl 22 Dec 2014
I'm trying to get a little info on what boots are suitable for alpine winter. I have a pair of nepal evos that I have been fine in some pretty bad conditions in Scotland and utterly terrible conditions in Autumn in the Alps.
However, from what I've read I'd be a little concerned for my feet on a north face at 3800m in January despite my good circulation. I'll buy boots in the Alps if I need to but I'm not sure whether to believe the marketing about batura/phantom guide type boots being warm enough.

My questions are:

Will I have trouble with Nepals for single day stuff with a seal skin sock to boost insulation?
If not are Baturas/Phantom guides warm enough? Does anyone have experience with bivys with a 1.5 type boot?
If these are not good enough are there alternatives for the Spantik that I should look out for?

Thanks,

Corin
 NottsRich 23 Dec 2014
How are you getting to the climbs? I would recommend wearing ski boots. Mine are very warm compared to my B3s.
 TobyA 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkinscl:

If you can find them Sportiva Baruntse are well worth considering. Mine have kept my feet warm ice climbing at -20 easily. They cost less than Spantiks and have a more old fashioned and perhaps more reliable lacing system. For example http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/la-sportiva-silver-40-5/
 davy_boy 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkinscl:

If your looking at the phantoms i would imagine the phantom 6000 rather than the guides to be warm enough plus still light for a double boot. A lot depends on what type of routes you are looking at doing.
 John Alcock 23 Dec 2014
In reply to davy_boy:

Spantiks will keep you warm and are light. The only downside- I have skinny ankles and find they don't give me much support for front-pointing big slopes.
 llanberis36 23 Dec 2014
In reply to wilkinscl:

I use a pair of boreal g2 double boots
Very warm and also purple

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...