Reducing grip size on DMM Switches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 20 Dec 2014
I've just got a pair of Switches which are lovely apart from the handles. Unless you have hands like shovels you're going to rattle about in the grips and feel insecure.

I tried using bike handlebar tape to lift the bottom of my hand so that the index finger sits in the trigger. This is an improvement but one route has shown that the tape wont last.

Any suggestions for a more lasting solution?

Cheers.
In reply to DaveHK:

Hi Dave, firstly how about "Sugru"? Check out Sugru.com

Otherwise, reading about on the net, there are references to the the fact that the grips on the Switches are bigger as it allows space for gloves and the non adjustable rests are also a plus as there is no weak point that might break.

Personally I don't have dinner plate hands, so get along ok with tools with smaller grips. I have two sets of Nomics, one trashed set with dry tooling picks with the handle set to "M" and a 'Sunday best' set with cascade picks and the handle set to "L" to accommodate winter gloves. So far in 7 years of use, I have not managed to break off or damage an adjustable rest yet.....

Have you spoken to DMM about this? I suppose they may say that on slabby or vertical stuff you will have your feet to take the pressure off your pinkies and on the really steep stuff, the tool is rotated enough to spread the weight along most of the grip and so relieve your pinkie fingers even if your index finger is not in the trigger, but that still does not address the issue of security that you highlighted.

Sugru is pretty amazing stuff and proportedly copes well with the cold too, plus you can mould and customise the shape to your hand.
Good luck
Paul
OP DaveHK 20 Dec 2014
In reply to taddersandbadger:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> Hi Dave, firstly how about "Sugru"? Check out Sugru.com
>

That's the name of the stuff I was trying to remember today! Thanks.
 3leggeddog 20 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
You don't buy shoes that don't fit
OP DaveHK 20 Dec 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:
As I posted, I wondered to myself if some tw*t would come along with useful advice like that.
Post edited at 22:39
 JLS 20 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I told you that you shouldn't have had those sixth fingers surgically removed. If God does something it's always for a good reason. Sometimes the reasons aren't immediately obvious and the virtue of patience must be employed.

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID1028/images/low_res.jpg
OP DaveHK 20 Dec 2014
In reply to JLS:

>
> I told you that you shouldn't have had those sixth fingers surgically removed.

Lots of folks think I'm from Ayrshire but actually I'm from just across the border in Renfrewshire.
Post edited at 23:09
 3leggeddog 20 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
Nice,love you too honey
 JLS 20 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

One does wonder if the six fingers and webbed feet were natural adaptations to historical flooding events of the Black Cart rather than the cruelly insinuated inbreeding more associated with your Ayrshire cousins?

I pray the fossil record will in due course disclose a five and a half fingered hand to exonerate your forbearers from the sin that shadows them.
OP DaveHK 20 Dec 2014
In reply to JLS:

> > I pray the fossil record...sin that shadows them.

You can't have it both ways.
Post edited at 23:42
drmike 21 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Dave
Karl had some sugru knocking around that he was wasting on tea pot handles…….
 3leggeddog 21 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Epoxy putty may be a better choice than sugru. Epoxy sets rigid unlike sugru.
OP DaveHK 21 Dec 2014
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Thank you

I've got some sugru and I'll give it a go with that as it sounds much easier to use than epoxy.
 Hay 21 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:
I'll fall off. Well it did on my axes. Within 20m of the start of the first route.
Personally I would wrap them in tape and dip them in Plasti-dip.
Bruce

jonnie3430 21 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd recommend self-amalgamating tape, which I think is what DMM supply with the axes. I haven't changed the bottom grip yet, but have improved the upper one with a lump for a trigger which makes them nicer to hold. Seems to last so far, but didn't get out enough last winter to prove it. You can roll up a bit of the tape to act as the bulk, then secure it in place with more, it's about 3 quid a roll from Screwfix I think.
OP DaveHK 21 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

I've had a go with the Sugru having first put some zipties round the horn to give it something to grip on. We'll see...
 iksander 22 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Sugru is pretty solid if you apply it to a clean surface, give it a rub with an alcohol wipe or similar first if dirty
OP DaveHK 11 Jan 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

For anyone that's interested the Sugru over zipties method has worked a treat. 5 routes in and no signs of movement.

Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...