Coffee drinkers - I need your advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 18 Dec 2014

Looking to buy a coffee maker as a present and not sure what to look for (I don't drink coffee so an Espresso, Latte and Cappuccino etc mean absolutely nothing to me).

From browsing around Curry's and John Lewis today it seems that there is 3 different style of machine the Pod, Espresso and Bean to Cup.

The person in question likes to grind there own coffee etc which would suggest that a bean to cup model is the way forward however having seen how much some of those machines cost.....!!

Can anyone give me some advice on any of the machine styles that they use and would recommend? also, If anyone knows of any too good to be missed deals on a bean to cup machine please let me know.

Cheers
Post edited at 22:52
 pneame 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

I bought the missus a Moccamaster http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_s... for her birthday
Grossly overpriced, undoubtedly, but it does make a nice brew. It's all in the beans, though.
OP Alan M 18 Dec 2014
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Some clues here, perhaps?

Thanks for the heads up I had browsed that thread but it gets a bit coffee connoisseur with regards to taste etc and what people are doing to the beans!!. As a non-coffee drinker it means absolutely nothing to me. Hoping someone can say things like this pod machine is brilliant because a, b or c or stay away from the pod machines because they make a crap coffee and a right faff buying the pods etc etc.

OP Alan M 18 Dec 2014
In reply to pneame:

> I bought the missus a Moccamaster http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/kbgt_741_polished_s... for her birthday

> Grossly overpriced, undoubtedly, but it does make a nice brew. It's all in the beans, though.

Looks smart, will research them a bit more might be a present I have to take them along to the store and let them pick though.
 icnoble 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

How much do you want to spend?
 aln 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

If they're grinding their own beans surely they already have a coffee making machine.
OP Alan M 18 Dec 2014
In reply to icnoble:
> How much do you want to spend?

up to £200 though hopefully less.
Post edited at 23:34
OP Alan M 18 Dec 2014
In reply to aln:
> If they're grinding their own beans surely they already have a coffee making machine.

They prefer to grind their own coffee manually but due to the faff and using the press or method they used etc they stopped. Why I am thinking about buying the coffee maker.
Post edited at 23:33
 mark burley 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M: I find a delonghi icona espresso machine and hario mini grinder is fine for my 1 to 2 cups a day. Beans were signature from Morrisons.
I make a longish espresso and top up with a little warm milk. Or I used to till I ha stop stop drinking coffee under doctors advice.
Coffee experts will be along soon to say how wonderful the latest 1k machine is, but hey it's coffee and I am drinking it not selling it.

tehmarks 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

You can't beat an Aeropress for making coffee while not costing the Earth. The downside of course is that they're actually somewhat physical to use - or at least so I've found, using a metal filter in place of the usual paper ones. Maybe I just need to work out more.
 JayPee630 19 Dec 2014
In reply to mark burley:

If you don't mind saying why did the doctor tell you to stop? Wasn't high blood pressure was it, as that's been shown to be rubbish, it raises it an insignificant amount.
In reply to JayPee630:

I don't know about high blood pressure but I find coffee makes me nuseous (headachey and rather queasey in my stomach) for a couple of hours after a cup these days. Shame because I actually enjoy it while drinking it.
 JayPee630 19 Dec 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Is that on an empty stomach as I get the same if it's a strong coffee (or even tea) first things in the morning. Lots of studies showing good black coffee brewed/filtered is actually quite good for you in lots of ways though. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself!
In reply to JayPee630:

It started a few years ago and I initially didn't make the link. It doesn't seem related to full/empty stomach but strength is probably a factor. It's as if I've developed an intolerance of it. I don't say that coffee is bad/unhealthy for you but it feels bad/unhealthy for me.
I drink a lot of tea with no ill effect (and I mean a lot).
 cander 19 Dec 2014
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I used to be like that - I find combining coffee with a decent brandy sorts it out
 mike123 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:
If the person likes / has liked grinding their own beans its likely that pod machines will not be their thing and it will then sit in cupboard gathering dust . As above , for the money you ll struggle to beat an aero press for a consistently good brew . A lot is said about freshly grinding the beans but equally important is that the water is not too hot / the right temp for the beans . This one of the main reasons you can get 5 very different brews from the same bag of Kenyan (or whatever) pre ground form sainsburies (or where ever) This used to be very difficult to achieve consistently but now you can get those fancy kettles whwhere you set the temperature it's easy . The mother in law has one of the cheaper ones and it's great. So why not get an aero press and a fancy kettle ? If you add a hand grinder you then have a great little coffee kit . There are lots of hand grinders and they all do a good job , some people on the coffee forums argue the merits of various ones and there are some proper Gucci custom jobs but I m unconvinced . Where are you going to shop ? If it's a city I bet there is a least one uber cool cafe with baristas with beards and satchels who ride to work on fixes . That would be the place to buy the grinder ,aero press and some really good beans . Not sure about the kettle but someone on here was talking about having one .
 JayPee630 19 Dec 2014
In reply to mike123:

Yeah, don't get a pod machine, for real coffee drinkers they're a bit like instant and IMO the coffee's not that good either, a half way house between instant and proper.
 mike123 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:
Not sure if it's open yet but golden square in Liverpool looks like the kind off place you need to go shopping . Look at the pictures and tell me no one there owns a flat cap and a fixe .
 Indy 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

The Jura ENA Micro 1 is a very basic machine but does excellent coffee without all the extra features you hardly ever use. Its Swiss made so should last ages.
 RedFive 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Good advice above.

I've had a Pod machine - Nescafe Dolce Gusto, which is great for the type but as said is a half way house between Instant coffee from the kettle and a proper brew.

I progressed onto an Espresso machine. You can spend from £50 to £1500++ for home use. For your budget this would suit the bill perfectly: DELONGHI Scultura ECZ351BG Espresso Machine

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/...

My machine is a cheaper version of that and in my humble opinion, I can make a better coffee than anything I have had in coffee shops - though that doesn't stop me trying them!

I would avoid the machines with built in milk dispenser purely because they are more of a faff to clean. People complain about the clart on to make a coffee with one of these. To them I say, boil a kettle and add Nescafe Instant Cat Litter. I work for myself from home so have the luxury of time each day and enjoy the process. Make sure your friend is the same, otherwise Nescafe Dolce Gusto may the way to go.

YouTube is your friend - good beans, grind them yourself - make a decent extraction with the machine, use the frother to make milk the consistency of paint, pour in - swirl a nice pattern , then sit back and enjoy.

Hope that helps.

In reply to cander:
> (In reply to DubyaJamesDubya)
>
> I used to be like that - I find combining coffee with a decent brandy sorts it out

Sounds like an experiment worth trying
 hamsforlegs 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:
> They prefer to grind their own coffee manually but due to the faff and using the press or method they used etc they stopped. Why I am thinking about buying the coffee maker.

As others have mentioned, the grinding bit is key.

Perhaps an aeropress and a fancy grinder. Manual grinding really is a pain - I'm not surprised your friend gave it up.

An electric burr grinder would be a great pressie (don't get a blade grinder - burr is the thing). They go from surprisingly expensive to have-a-little-lie-down expensive. I have this one: http://www.johnlewis.com/dualit-burr-coffee-grinder/p231458809

It's at the more affordable end, but is lovely and means I can make a high quality aeropress cup with freshly ground beans in 3-4 minutes. For your £200 budget you could get a temp-controlled kettle, an aeropress and a grinder. That would make a great kit for the real coffee geek.

Don't bother with bean-to-cup.

The other option that real fans might go for is a small espresso unit, but this gets expensive very fast if you want something decent. Probably not something to buy as a pressie unless you have a big budget and want to take the person shopping.

Mark
Post edited at 09:01
In reply to Alan M: If grinding beans by hand was too much faff, why not get them a coffee grinder and a cafetiere, espresso pot or filter machine as they prefer?

Makes for a much more versatile system and avoids being tied in to just one way of doing things.

T.
 nniff 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

We have the following:

For everyday morning dash to get out of the front door:
A Krupp electric grinder and a Braun filter machine - water in the filter machine up to the '6 cup' mark. beans into the grinder to cover the blades, quick whizz and into the filter. Takes about 2 minutes. Then take the dog for a walk.

Bit more involved - one of those hexagonal espresso makers on a gas hob, or an Aeropress.

About £100 in all for all 4 - I think. The only one that needs consumables is the aeropress.
 MonkeyPuzzle 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

I think hamsforlegs has it. I use a hand grinder and love fresh coffee, but, although I can technically afford one, I can't justify spending the money on a good electric burr grinder - surely this is where presents are at their best. If your friend even has a caffetierre in the house, a decent grinder and some freshly roasted single-estate beans will mean that they have a really really good cup of coffee a couple of minutes away at all times.
 hamsforlegs 19 Dec 2014
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> I think hamsforlegs has it. I use a hand grinder and love fresh coffee, but, although I can technically afford one, I can't justify spending the money on a good electric burr grinder - surely this is where presents are at their best.

^^This was my thinking.
Mine was a 'present' to myself that I agreed with my other half when I got a job after a period out of work.
I thought it would be nice. It has actually been a revelation as making a coffee is now one of life's pleasures and not a chore.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 Dec 2014
In reply to hamsforlegs:

I, however, have a right arm that hasn't been this large and muscley since I was fifteen. Every cloud...
 hamsforlegs 19 Dec 2014
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

A range of jokes are available here about furious grinding, getting the heart rate up first thing, really having to work for your shot, and the benefits of manual manipulation. Please help yourself.
Dorq 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:
If they are happy with their current brewing method (french press?) then perhaps as good a grinder as you can get for that money?

http://www.fairfaxcoffee.com/Coffee-Grinder.aspx

Or a nicer press, such as Nick Munro ones? You could add some good beans to that if you wanted to spend more. Or a coffee bean subscription for a year? Rave are a good company, Atkinsons in Lancs can be good as well.

200 quid will get you a decent machine from somewhere like John Lewis, I imagine; stay away from the pods of course. I never got on with the Aeropress, though it is rated highly by many. There are also some nice designer stove top 'espresso' pots, like the ones they use in Italy, forget what they are called. There are some wonderful vacuum driven stove top glass coffee devices that make nice gifts, don't know the name of that type either, sorry, but they are amazing to watch.

A good drip filter is also an idea, if the grinder they have does filter fine grade - if it doesn't, no point as they will have to buy filter fine bags of coffee.

Jon
Post edited at 10:08
 duchessofmalfi 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Dorq:

aeropress
Donnie 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

Hi Alan

Not sure if this has been said already, but if they already grind there own coffee they don't need a bean to cup and won't want a pod one. So standard espresso maker.

Alternative and cheaper option is an Aeropress. They make great coffee!

Neil Williams 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

How much are you looking to spend? At the cheap end you've got posh cafetieres, and the Aeropress (Google it) makes a nice smooth cup.

I've had all sorts of machines and I just find I end up using a cafetiere, an Aeropress or a manual filter filled from the kettle.

Neil
 mark burley 19 Dec 2014
In reply to JayPee630:

> If you don't mind saying why did the doctor tell you to stop? Wasn't high blood pressure was it, as that's been shown to be rubbish, it raises it an insignificant amount.

I have acid reflux and have needed to cut down/ out coffee, alcohol, spicy food and citric fruit.
Sure miss that fruit
It has improved by reducing coffee to 1 or 2 a week, no more big sessions or mid week drinking but still enjoy cooking a curry on a Saturday night.
Feel tons better and with the road biking have lost 1 1/2 stone. I still enjoy a coffee but the onus is on enjoy rather than need now.
 MikeSP 19 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

I have something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-ES030200-Moka-Express-cup/dp/B0000AN3QI
It's easy to use as there is no need a for kettle and is small enough take into the hills.

Currently thinking about getting one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-BA008100-Tuttocrema-Frother/dp/B0001IXA4Y
as it can be used on the hob/camps stove

I haven't tried an aeropress so can't compare the two.
 tehmarks 19 Dec 2014
In reply to nniff:

> About £100 in all for all 4 - I think. The only one that needs consumables is the aeropress.

You can get a metal reusable filter for the Aeropress, which eliminates the need for consumables (other than coffee, obviously). I can't comment on the merits of each as I've only ever used mine with said filter - the small supply of paper filters it originally came with are still unused in the cupboard.
 Neil Williams 19 Dec 2014
In reply to tehmarks:

I don't think I could be bothered with doing that, because the Aeropress is far more of a faff to clean than swilling out a cafetiere, and the only reason Aeropress coffee tastes better to me is that a paper filter results in a far less harsh taste.

Same with filter coffee - if making filter coffee I always use a paper filter, it just tastes nicer.

Neil
OP Alan M 19 Dec 2014
In reply to All:

Thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. I have been out today around Merseyside asking questions. Decided that I am going to take the person to pick the actual machine or apparatus they want. Kills the surprise element but guarantees they get something they want.

cheers.
 icnoble 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Alan M:

If you can afford it this machine is very good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaggia-Classic-RI8161-Machine-Professional/dp/B0000...

and this grinder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuisinart-Professional-Burr-Coffee-Mill/dp/B0007P3L...

There are other burr grinders of a similar price.
 Alyson 20 Dec 2014
In reply to icnoble:

> If you can afford it this machine is very good

That's a great shout. I'm patiently waiting for the right second hand Gaggia Classic to make an appearance on eBay! It's supposed to be a superb machine for the price.
 icnoble 20 Dec 2014
In reply to Alyson:

Even with this less expensive a burr grinder is worth the investment

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...