Alpine trek (Vanoise) itinerary views

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 16 Dec 2014
Hi,
I'm thinking about doing a ~10 day trek with my wife in the Alps next summer, as something we can do there together rather than me going climbing. She is reasonably fit and enjoys walking, and the mountains, but doesn't like difficult ground or a lot of scree, and I don't think she'd get on well with the more basic varieties of alpine huts. I've put together the following rough itinerary around the Vanoise area and wondered if anyone has any feedback on quality of route, where to stay in the villages in summer, or the quality of the huts on the way?
Also, can anyone tell me if many/any alpine huts have any laundry facilities - I can't remember them having myself, but just thinking about minimizing how much gear we have to carry...I'm guessing I may be restricted to washing stuff in the villages.
Thanks!

Modane-->Refuge de l'Orgere-->Refuge de Plan Sec-->Refuge de l'Arpont-->Refuge du Plan du Lac-->Refuge du Vallonbrun-->Bonneval-sur-Arc-->Val d'Isere-->Refuge de la Leisse-->Pralognan-la-Vanoise-->Refuge de Peclet-Polset-->Modane
OP Si dH 21 Dec 2014
In reply to Si dH:

Bump!
 rif 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Si dH:
Did a different but comparable Vanoise hut-to-hut tour a few years ago with my partner, who isn't a climber. We got there by overnight train to/from Bourg St Maurice and stayed entirely in huts: Fours, Femma, Arpont, Felix Faure x2 (in order to do the lovely walking loop round the Aig de la Vanoise), Leisse, Palet, Rosuel. All the huts were comfortable but the Arpont stands out for location (great views from the high-level path to it from the NE, which we did both ways). I don't think any high huts anywhere have laundry facilities other than the basins in the washrooms, but that allows you to wash out a few quick-drying items.
altirando 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Si dH:

If you can get hold of a used copy of the hardback Classic Walks of the World you will find an illustrated description of the Tour de la Vanoise ending at Modane, but you can just reverse the route.
 Bob Aitken 23 Dec 2014
In reply to Si dH:

Yes, that would give you a high-quality scenic tour; I can recommend it highly. Most of the huts are now modernised with smaller rooms and showers (Vallonbrun & Leisse may still be fairly modest Park huts, but haven't been to either recently). From recent experience the Plan Sec is particularly friendly and pleasant, with good food. The Arpont has just been enlarged, and is now a bit of a mountain hotel, slightly uber-organised, rather than the rambling old traditional refuge of fond memory.

A lot depends on when you're going - in June it may be worth carrying an axe and a half-rope for the odd remnant hard snow patch here and there, especially if your wife's a bit anxious. From mid-July to mid-August it gets distinctly busy, especially in your first 3 huts which are on the now very popular Tour des Glaciers de la Vanoise. Hut gardien(ne)s are increasingly keen on you booking ahead at any time, to help them with catering; most huts now have websites for advance booking, which in many cases will also help ensure that you can get a 2 or 4 bunk room. But if you speak nicely to them, many hut gardiens will call ahead for you. Most gardiens have a modicum of English, but having even the basic courtesies in French will pay dividends.

I don't think any of the huts have laundry facilities - hot water's at a premium - so not much scope for washing clothes apart from scrubbing things in wash-hand basins or outside water troughs! There are self-service laundrettes in Val d'Isere and Pralognan. Haven't stayed in Val recently, but there is a good range of accomm from chalet-refuge and B&B to decent hotels in Pralo.
OP Si dH 31 Dec 2014
In reply to Bob Aitken:

Thanks Bob, that sounds really positive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...