Comfortable boots for the TMB - recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian.Hogg 16 Dec 2014
At the risk of duplicating any previous threads, could you recommend me a pair of new boots for walking the Tour de Mont Blanc this July, and generally the alps after that. I aim to camp along the way, so will be carrying a fairly heavy rucksack circa 15+ kilos.

I have a pair of B3s with crampons for ice & snow, and N Face Hedgehogs for trails, but was thinking something in-between would be more suitable, along the lines of :

... firm ankle support - good for rough terrain / boulders / scree fields; waterproof-ish (nothing is 100%) ; soft and comfortable from the off without causing mega blisters for the first 150 Kms; vibram sole (or at leat a sole that doesnt split during the boots lifetime) ; Cost is not an issue; adjustable, lace ups, & easy to get on & off; probably 2 to 3 season ; size 9 to 9_1/2 or 42 ; .......

Many Thanks.
 craig1983 16 Dec 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

I have a pair of La Sportiva Trango Alps I'm looking to part with. Check out the specs/reviews online and give me a shout if interested.

They're UK 9.5 and only been out the house once (too small).
 Billhook 17 Dec 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

As you can see from the previous poster, ones that are comfortable are ones that fit your feet. Not necessarily anyone elses. There are plenty of boots that will suit you. I'd just go and try some on.
OP Ian.Hogg 17 Dec 2014
In reply to craig1983:

Thanks for the offer. They are very similar to my current B3s is weight and shape, so will pass on this one.
 Robin Woodward 17 Dec 2014
In reply to ianghogg:

We did the TMB this September, and I think you'd get on well with something more at the walking shoe end. The only problems feetwise we had was from some blisters where girlfriend and forgotten to wear in her shoes, and pain from path impacts. Although the two main higher passes were a bit scree-covered, I don't think you'd necessarily been any better off with scrambling boots, whilst the large amount of hard tracks/roads lead to some quite sore feet (particularly the long down hills - although we did go clockwise, which may well be worse for this), so extra sole cushioning would have been much appreciated (I used some custom made summer weight unlined leather boots with a foamy sole, and my girlfriend used some mammut via ferrata shoes.

We did have only 1 afternoon of rain though, so may have been a bit different mud-wise if weather had been worse (only one muddy climb to the southern high pass for us).
OP Ian.Hogg 22 Dec 2014
In reply to Robin Woodward:

Thanks All

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...