Winter Softshell Trouser recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 14 Dec 2014
Hey,

My current winter leg wear (Rab VR Guides) are too big for me now (I have the size small - I guess i'm around 28/29" waist. They have always felt a bit baggy anyway and a tad too long.

Can anyone recommend some replacements (they have to fit my shortish legs - 30/31" ish). A bright colour is preferable but in the end, having them well fitted is top priority. They have to be fairly 'hard' soft shells insofar as that I usually wear them as the outermost layer over some leggings or ronhills.

For reference, montane size smalls fit me perfectly in both waist and leg. Anything other brands with a similar fit?

Cheers
 Denzil 14 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain: Paramo Enduro trousers, size small fit me very well, though my leg length is shorter than yours. Only in black though.

OP CMcBain 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Dave Perry:

Not really sure why you've cross linked these two posts. I'm specifically looking for short-legged soft-shell recommendations, not pile/pertex trousers as in the other post.

Denzil - will have a look at them, cheers!

marsbar 14 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

I don't know about the men's sizes but I love my marmot softshell trousers.
 daniel_c_baron 14 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Patagucci Back Country Guides for me, mine are black and i don't think they do snazzy colours. I've worn mine in Scottish Winter and Ice climbing in Norway very warm. I wear some Lifa Warm leggings under mine and i'm toasty warm on Belays.
Not sure about the sizing but thought i'd give mt 2p

Dan
 KellyKettle 15 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:
> I'm specifically looking for short-legged soft-shell recommendations, not pile/pertex trousers as in the other post.

I note with some irony that the rab VR stuff is very simmilar to the pile pertex, just not as warm or as dry...

In fact, the buffalo techlite stuff sounds like a very viable answer to your needs, especially as they'll do it to your measurements

Can you explain why you're not interested in pile pertex, I get that it's deeply uncool but as an avowed user of both pile-pertex and non-membrane (woven) softshell have found the former far superior for uk winter.
 Andy_B39 15 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:
If you got on well with the rab vr guides and Montane kit fits well, have a look at Montanes terra thermostretch trousers.
Post edited at 21:05
In reply to CMcBain:

I'm not sure how anyone could even begin to give you a halfway useful recommendation since you haven't even stated what you will be using them for. Mixed climbing? Ice Climbing? Winter Walking?
OP CMcBain 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

Probably should have specified in the original post but primarily Scottish winter climbing (both ice and mixed I guess - is it normal to have a different pair of troos for both?!). I was trying to get away from the pile/pertex combo (as found in my old leg wear) because I found it did not work very well for me. I've got some tights and ronhills, so just looking for a non-fleece lined soft-shell to put over them. Preferably a soft-shell that is 'heavyweight' enough, that I can forego a hard-shell.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Will have a look at Montane stuff again, any more suggestions welcome.
 aldo56 15 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:
WHY HAS NO ONE YET MENTIONED SIMOND TROOSERS?!

Ukc must be broken... Check out the Simon alpinist trousers at decathalon, £40 and they are excellent.
Post edited at 22:37
In reply to CMcBain:
For climbing, I've had great success with the Patagonia Backcountry Guides (stretchy, tough, unlined softshell). Unfortunately, the replacement is not good. Tried them on yesterday and they were too baggy and the waterproof knees and arse-patch now cover around 1/2 to 2/3s of the area of the trousers, so they're basically stretchier hardshell.

I also tried:

1. Haglofs Rando FLex - too loosefitting for UK Winter. But probably the one's I'm going to buy as I mainly ski-tour and climb from skis.

2. Arc'teryx Psiphone AR - great cut for climbing, but no braces and side vents Which I want). These would suit you well I think.

I also tried two Mammut pants but they were more expensive and similarly featured to the Haglofs.

Mountain Equipment probably have a good pair.

All in lovely plain black I'm afraid...
Post edited at 08:29
OP CMcBain 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Fultonius:
Colour is more of a vanity thing, getting a decent fit is more important.

How did you find the fit on Haglofs and Arcteryx trousers? (big for the size/small for the size etc) The size guides on their respective websites aren't very illuminating, Haglofs seem to say a XS=31W and S=33W which seems massive. I'm a 29W/31L so seems like Arcteryx might be a better bet.
Post edited at 09:33
In reply to CMcBain:

I'm normally a medium in pants. I'm 6" and usual climber build. 32" jeans are not tight on me, but I wouldn't fit 30".

I found the Haglofs much longer and roomier than the Arc'teryx. The arc'teryx were what I would call a good standard fit for the stated size, the Haglofs are strangely large. I'm tempted to try a small haglofs today but I think they might will be too short. They have a decent built-in belt which allows them to be adjusted, but I would have preferred them to fit better without having to cinch them down.
In reply to aldo56:

> WHY HAS NO ONE YET MENTIONED SIMOND TROOSERS?!

Well, I would have done, but it seemed the OP was after some more VR-style offerings.

With the additional info, I'd say they might be a good be a good choice, depending on what 'heavyweight' means. If it means 'verging on waterproof' then no. If it means 'heavy duty, robust fabric', then yes...

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-trousers-id_8010075.html

Given the OP's waist, probably size S.
 wilkesley 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Fultonius:

> I'm normally a medium in pants. I'm 6" and usual climber build. 32" jeans are not tight on me, but I wouldn't fit 30".

You didn't mention that you were vertically challenged. That changes everything.

OK, I'll get my coat and shorts.

In reply to wilkesley:

Has anyone Mentioned Marmot Highland Pants on sale
Go outdoors £45 sheets maybe not the heaviest pants going
However will do most folk with a thin pair of leggings for colder
Days
In reply to stevieweesaxs107:

They look rather nice... Might have to take a look.
 iksander 17 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Haglofs Rugged Mountain XS/ short?
 planetmarshall 17 Dec 2014
In reply to CMcBain:

Haglofs Skarn are the greatest winter softshells in the known universe, and they come in crazy Scandinavian colours ( though British stores only ever buy Beige. I swear they ask for it specifically. ).

Would like to try a pair of the new Millet WDS Storm Pant, as far as I know only Outside stock them. In black, naturally.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...