GPS device advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Donnie 14 Dec 2014
Looking to get a GPS device for -

Walking and winter climbing in Scotland -
1. needs to have accurate GPS
2. if possible - Altimeter, Baromiter and some form of map display

Running/cycling

1. needs to be portable and record routes, times etc.
2. if possible - heart rate monitor and upload to strava or similar easily

Grateful for any advice. Thanks!
 Dom Whillans 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Donnie:

i got a second hand garmin gps60 after some good advice from my peers. you can set up the screens any way you like, it does everything you're asking for except the map display is limited, but then it tells you exactly where you are for on a good old fashioned map so is possibly the best compromise out there.
 JEF 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Donnie:

I've got a garmin etrex 20 and downloaded the mapping off a website called talkytoaster.
I had a garmin oregon 600 for a couple of weeks; it drove me mad so I got a refund. The touchscreen was a nightmare whereas the etrex 20 has a joystick.

I don't think it will suit your running/cycling needs, but it's relatively inexpensive
 squirrel00 14 Dec 2014
In reply to Donnie:

i have a etrex 20 with os1.50(all of uk) mapping and its grand for walking and mtb , for road cycling I put in a city navigator chip , cant moan about the price I got the etrex and the mapping card for £130 last year and I paid £35 for the city nav card
 petestack 14 Dec 2014
In reply to MaxJEF:
> I don't think it will suit your running/cycling needs, but it's relatively inexpensive

It would do most of what you ask, but the eTrex 30 might do it all...

Just got the eTrex 20 myself because I didn't need the 30's barometric altimeter, compass or wireless capabilities (which would let you record your heart rate from a compatible HRM and display it if current rate is all you require), and have noted some first impressions here:
http://www.petestack.com/blog/running/etrex-20.html

Where the eTrex undoubtedly scores over the GPSMAP 62, 64 etc. is compact size (which mattered to me) and battery life. The screen's smaller, but shows enough for me, and it sits so comfortably *in* the hand. You can get bike mounts, belt clips etc. but I'm happy with just a simple homemade lanyard.
Post edited at 18:40
 Inchewan 15 Dec 2014
In reply to Donnie:

For walking, winter climbing, and cycling go for a Garmin GPS map 62s which is second generation GPS unit.
On sale at £229 includes full OS UK 1:50,000 map micro SD card. These were retailing at £540 not long ago.
If you want spend a bit more go for the Garmin GPS map 64s which is third generation GPS unit.
It has some extra bells and whistles including the Russian GLONASS satellite reception.
Price around £350, but cheaper if you can get mountaineering club discount.
The trick is using the correct type batteries with the latest type battery charger. I use NiMH nickel metal hydride rechargeables. There are two types, Ultra High Capacity and Low Self Discharge. Go for the LSD with2500mAh+.
Not so easy to find in supermarkets, but available on websites where you want to buyabattery.
This is my weapon of choice in whiteouts and 16 hour days/nights.
For even better free downloadable digital maps go to the wiki openstreetmap open data base project, or freizeitkarte public domain, 25 metre contour vector format maps. UK, Europe, All Alps. Its a revelation.
Donnie 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Donnie:

Thanks all for the comments.

I don't suppose any one would recommend a watch?

I was thinking that would be better for running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...