Karrimor Avalanche vs SIMOND vs Keela Advance Belays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DayWalker123 14 Dec 2014
im after a budget jacket which can be used as an every day jacket for UK weather, commute, town, usual UK winter weather etc

Ive been reading up and Primaloft One is meant to be the one to get it seems,

There are 3 jackets that i have seen that offer decent insulation for the cost

1. Karrimor Avalanche - http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-avalanche-jacket-mens-443523 (100g body / 60g hood PL1) - £60

2. SIMOND - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-warm-mountain-jacket-id_8327120.html ( 180 g chest fill, 120 g on sleeves and hood, Stratermic Insulation) - £49.99

3. Keela Belay Advance/Pro Jacket - http://www.keela.co.uk/outerwear/thermal-jackets.html (133g PL1) - £80

anyone have any real life experiences with them?

i would mainly use the jacket as an outer over a fleece or micro fleece and have a eVent Waterproof to over if weather goes really bag

the Keela being a bit of a wildcard as it has high spec but not a hood that i would like.

I recently returned a Rab Generator Alpine, i couldn't get on with the sizing, it seems i was between a large and a medium, plus i didn't like the fit, so thought id buy a cheaper jacket and see how i can get on with it

thanks
 PN82 14 Dec 2014
In reply to DayWalker123:

I have used the Simond jacket since 2012 and can safely say it's one of my favourite bits of kit. Warm, well designed, great build quality and highly affordable. It's that good I no longer wear my £150 down jacket on the mountains anymore.

I too looked at the keela belay but for me the hood is as essential requirement so dismissed it.

Karrimor's build quality has really dropped significantly the past few years and would not wear either their boots or clothing. There have been several people I have taken on walks whose karrimor kit has broken during the walk.

As soon as my simond jacket is old and tatty I will replace with the same, although this may be some time as the jacket is showing no signs of wear.
 angry pirate 14 Dec 2014

I thoroughly love my Rab Alpine Generator bit when it gives up the ghost I'll be buying a Simond belay jacket. I haven't used one but it felt toasty in the shop.
As said earlier, the lack of hood on the Keela is a dealbreaker and recent experience of Karrimor quality have put me off for life.
DayWalker123 14 Dec 2014
Thanks guys.

Can you tell me if the Simond can handle a rain shower?

Has anyone compared the Simond insulation to primaloft?
 PN82 14 Dec 2014
All of these jackets could handle a light rain shower and retain their warmth and any of these jackets I would be happy to stick on top of wet waterproofs at rest stops.

All will soak through in any prolonged rain showers or short heavy bursts but then again that's the same for most types of these jackets.

The simond jacket is seriously warm, can't say if pound for pound its warmer/less warmer than primaloft but I'm not particularly interested in that comparison. As long as it keeps warm and does the job then that's more important to me
Post edited at 19:37
 nathan79 14 Dec 2014

I've got the previous version of the Karrimor Avalanche with Primaloft One. I'm not sure that the newer version going for £80 is filled with Primaloft, couldn't see anything suggesting it was. The older version is a good quality garment, seems to be the equal of my Montane Flux with a better fit.

I've checked out the Simond one. Seemed like a good quality garment, didn't like the elasticated though. Can't speak for the quality of the insulation as haven't used it.
DayWalker123 15 Dec 2014
In reply to nathan79:

> I've got the previous version of the Karrimor Avalanche with Primaloft One. I'm not sure that the newer version going for £80 is filled with Primaloft, couldn't see anything suggesting it was. The older version is a good quality garment, seems to be the equal of my Montane Flux with a better fit.

> I've checked out the Simond one. Seemed like a good quality garment, didn't like the elasticated though. Can't speak for the quality of the insulation as haven't used it.

Thanks for the reply

I popped into local sports direct yesterday where they sell these and it does indeed have primaloft. There is a tag on the jacket, these are now £60 in the sale. They didn't have large in stock so couldn't try it out.

I presume they only made this jacket with PL1 so can't be PL Eco or sport?
 nathan79 16 Dec 2014

I expect it's stil PL1 then and still worth a pop.
DayWalker123 16 Dec 2014
managed to get a Mammut Xeron from GO today as it went on sale today: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-xeron-jacket-p282812

its basically a re-branded Mammut Rime Pro with a few adjustments to make it a GO exclusive (i believe)

also ordered the Karrimor Avalanche, got one cheap on ebay so will both do me

was really tempted by the Simond though
Post edited at 20:19
DayWalker123 18 Dec 2014

got the Karrimor Avalanche today and very impressed, got it cheaper than £60 as a seller accepted my best offer on auction site for a brand new one

the Primaloft literature tag on the coat has a gold banner on it, which i assume means PL1/Gold

very warm jacket and surprising can be packed relatively small

my only concern is the cinch cords on the hood, one back and 2 at the front, they seems to be a bit tricky to operate, there's no pinch action on the littl thing, just pull i think.

will test it outside when i can
 aldo56 18 Dec 2014

Sounds like a good deal but the name of that jacket worries me!
 ogreville 18 Dec 2014
In reply to aldo56:

> Sounds like a good deal but the name of that jacket worries me!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Isn't exactly a reassuring name for a jacket.

I can't decide between the following jackets -
The Berghaus 'Lost in a Whiteout'
The Rab 'Left For Dead'
The Mountain Equipment 'Lifeless Body Turns Up In The Spring'
DayWalker123 18 Dec 2014

Depends if your into brand snobbery. Lol Show me a jacket with hood that has pl1 at this spec for less than £60

I will use it as my work horse jacket.

I have a nice mammut belay for other days

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...