Warmest laced climbing boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 11 Dec 2014
Hi all,

Quick 'spec me a...' request. can anyone drop their recommendation for a super warm, laced mountain boot please. I'm currently stomping around in Asolo Lhotse GV's which are and will remain to be excellent for my feet, albeit a little cold when standing around belaying below -10 or so.

I'm not a fan of gaitered/zipped boots and not looking for a double boot, though I will consider it. Although I fully understand both are inherently warmer. All I'm after is a warmer boot, that ideally fits BD stinger's well, has a good comfort zone below -20C and suitable for steep ice and mixed. A higher leg would be ideal.

Having looked long and hard at most (pretty much all) makes, everything seems to be of the same spec, so does anyone know which boot is the warmest?

(I do also intend to update my sock collection)
 d_b 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

If you get on with asolos then you will find sportivas have a very similar fit. I have been getting on quite well with a pair of nepal extremes for the last few years.
OP GarethSL 11 Dec 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:
I had my eyes on the Nepal cube, but the reviews for warmth didn't seem so good for what I was after, the Evo and Extremes are warmer, though I would also like a waterproof lined boot, but I fear the Evos would be colder.

The Baruntse however, was one I had in mind if I decided I could cope with a double boot.
Post edited at 10:59
 d_b 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:
Going by the specs the cube looks like the light weight member of the family. Not sure I would pick that over my Asolo B2s.

I found the extremes toasty warm in actic norway in winter. Never had trouble with water getting in, although I use them almost exclusively as a winter and alpine boot. I think I would want something warmer for high altitude/high arctic stuff though.

Where are you thinking of taking them?
Post edited at 11:47
OP GarethSL 11 Dec 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

> Where are you thinking of taking them?

Cold days (below -20) on ice and mixed lines in mainland Norway, bad ice, worse mixed and glacier stuff in the high arctic.

I know double and gaitered boots are the most suitable, just curious to see if there is another option
 d_b 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

Well. My winter trip in Lyngen probably hit around -10, but it's coastal so doesn't get nearly as chilly as the interior. -20 might be stretching it for the gear I was using.
 hamsforlegs 11 Dec 2014
In reply to davidbeynon:

I don't have any serious alpine or any arctic experience, but have worn extremes for years as my Scottish/snowy Alpine boots.

They are undoubtedly very warm and surprisingly watertight in most situations. That said, I've had chilly feet when standing on bleak Scottish belays and would be very worried about depending on them in consistently colder environments. OTOH my hands/feet do suffer a bit more than most and YMMV.
In reply to GrendeI:

I've heard good things about the North Face S6K?
 jezb1 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

What don't you like about gaitered boots, they're ace!
Love my phantoms
OP GarethSL 11 Dec 2014
In reply to jezb1:

In all honesty I don't really know, other than I think most have a low height in comparison to other boots and lack durability(?) over leather boots.
In reply to GrendeI:

I've heard good things of the mammut nordwands. Their gaitors are quite high too. But they're ~£400
 TobyA 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

If you are really going climbing in -20 (I've decided its not much fun! , don't f*** about. if you want lace ups, get Baruntses and thermofit them well. Mine are superb. To be honest, I don't find them any different to climb in from my 14 year old Nepal Extremes although bulkier and heavier than my Trango Extremes. But they are proper warm. I'm wearing them in my profile pic, and that's about as hard as I can ice climb and they worked fine for that route!
 Kai 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

Sportiva Spantiks.
 TobyA 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Kai:

> Sportiva Spantiks.

He said he wants laces - not some high-tech string tightening system that everyone seems to break then have to wait months as their boots get sent back to the factory!
 Pedro 11 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

Hi, when your looking try to see these :- Aku - Spider Kevlar GTX from the first time out they have been brill ! good luck P.
OP GarethSL 12 Dec 2014
In reply to TobyA:

> don't f*** about.

I fear you may be right here Toby! Perhaps I need to get over not liking Zippered or double boots. In which case, on the durability side, which zipped boot is less likely to disintegrate from bad footwork?

I see so many phantom guides and the like all completely torn up, one of the reasons I was hoping to find a warm, leather boot.
 Damo 12 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

Genuine -20C is probably beyond most single boots, unless you never stop moving from the car back to the car.

If you're set on avoiding Baruntses, Baturas etc then maybe look for something a bit more unusual like Boreals:
http://www.e-boreal.com/ing/comienzo.htm
OP GarethSL 12 Dec 2014
In reply to Damo:

Actually the GI series was something i was really interested in and were in my top options if I went the double boot way.

butteredfrog 12 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

Insulated over gaiter/boot thing? Then you have the option on warmer days?
 davy_boy 12 Dec 2014
In reply to GrendeI:

I have a pair of boreal g1 double boots most comfortable pair i own and mega warm however they are very heavy compared to modern doubles. I currently pick my phantoms most days now.
 Nick Harvey 12 Dec 2014
This thread seems to be veering towards the comment I am about to make being relevant:

I have Scarpa Phanton 6000s. They have a zip. They are brilliant – only every had chilly feet, and that was standing around belaying for yonks, in the very cold, with them probably overtightened. Compared to my Nepal Evos, they are a godsend and not a whole lot bigger. I would absolutely recommend them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...