Lights for winter: hi-viz 'sack with built-in red striplight?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin W 10 Dec 2014
The other morning I passed a cyclist who was wearing a smallish rucksack in hi-viz yellow, with a broad red horizontal stripe running across it which appeared to be illuminated. It was very noticeable, even at 05:45 on a dark, dank, frosty Edinburgh morning. Does anyone know who produces this wonderous device, and where it might be purchased?

On a related note: I spotted another cyclist the other evening who seemed to have his bright-but-not-blinding front light attached to one of the brake hoods. It was certainly off towards the outside of the handlebar, anyway. For some reason it seemed to catch the attention more than the usual centrally-mounted light. Was that just because it was unusual, or could there actually be an advantage to having the light away from the centreline ie slightly separated from the cyclist's body?

And speaking the cyclist's body, what about mounting a light facing back towards the rider eg on the top tube? That way, the person on the bike would always be conspicuous instead of relying on streetlights and vehicle headlights to illuminate them. I'd guess that a visible person might register more effectively with other road users than just one or two point sources of light on the bike itself.
In reply to Martin W:

My mate has a fluoro-yellow bag with a tape of red LEDs. He attached it himself though. And I doubt he'd be up at 0545... I can ask though if you'd like.

I've thought about the light-towards-the-rider approach, but I get dazzled even when I stand up and lean forward on the bike so I think it would seriously impact my night vision.

Might work at the back. But a red light wouldn't reflect as well.

To increase standing out from the front, LEDs along forks, maybe even cable housings would be good, especially if you could get them to flash out of sync. On the back I use a cateye light with two rows of LEDs that flash independently, and a cheapy red light clipped to my bag, again flashing out of sync.
In reply to Martin W:

He says it definitely wasn't him.
 gethin_allen 10 Dec 2014
In reply to Martin W:

I've seen people using this sort of thing
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Reflective-Motorcycles-Comfortable-Lig...

and there is a jacket available with a built in illuminated warning sign.

I use a pair of Smart Lunar rear lights, one on the bike and one on my bag. The one on my bag wobbles around a bit and is higher up so is probably more noticeable than the on the bike. A bit like having a light on your trouser cuff.

As far as front lights go, I wouldn't want to have any light shining at me as it would really screw with my night vision.

sleavesley 10 Dec 2014
OP Martin W 11 Dec 2014
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. It definitely wasn't one of the Hump variants. I suspect it was probably one of those LED belts worn around the rucksack, perhaps one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/iQaulTech-Backpack-Light-Universal-backpacks/dp/B00...

I currently run the same kind of rear light a Bob the Builder, and I have a flashing LED built in to the back of my helmet. I've tried various LED lights dangling from my rucksack but not been particularly satisfied with the results from any of them. I think I might try that iQualTech one - it looks cheap enough for a punt.

Re: The night vision issue, that could well be a valid objection. I think I might try it with a low-powered micro LED light on the cycle paths round here, just to see if it causes me any such problems.
 nniff 11 Dec 2014
In reply to Martin W:

I have a very bright rear light under the saddle, a lesser one on the seat post and another on my helmet. I wear a runner's reflective tabard. On the front I have two very, very bright lights - in areas with street lights they flash to a different rythym. I also have a spare tiny flashing light for cold weather premature battery
failure.

Each wrist has a reflective and flashing armband - for side visibility, turn signals and visibility to drivers who half-overtake and then forget you're there.

Reflective bands on ankles.

My commuter bike has reflective tape all over it and a third low front light on the offside fork, another light on the pannier (4 on the back in total) and a pannier with a hump cover on it. That bike also has dayglo yellow wheels.

I am a moving Christmas tree, but I am but nothing in comparison to one guy who works here - he has a full son et lumiere - stereo, LED light show, the works - serioulsy impressive stuff, but not lightweight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...