Paramo Enduro jacket opinions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 llanberis36 05 Dec 2014
On the look out for a tough waterproof. I like paramo stuff and was considering the Enduro. Just need to know if this is actually waterproof, and I mean after a day in the rain on the hill.I am happy that it is a bit of a heavy weight
 girlymonkey 05 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

My husband is very happy with his. It's his go to jacket most of the year (in Scotland), ditching it for something lighter weight in summer.
OP llanberis36 05 Dec 2014
In reply to girlymonkey:

Thank you
 DaveHK 05 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

Do a forum search on Paramo to find all the opinions you could possibly want.

My conclusion is that it exists in some sort of quantum superposition of states: both waterproof and not waterproof
OP llanberis36 05 Dec 2014
In reply to DaveHK:

Thanks looked on the usual forums, although further views welcome.

Had many jackets over the years and none actually waterproof, and I mean really waterproof, not excepting leaking shoulders.
 BnB 06 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

Both my Goretex Pro jackets have been and continue to be 100% waterproof.
OP llanberis36 17 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

Any more opinion on the paramo enduro before I make a purchase
Also looking at montane axion neo alpha
Shearwater 17 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:
> (In reply to llanberis36)
>
> Any more opinion on the paramo enduro before I make a purchase
> Also looking at montane axion neo alpha

If you're going to go the Paramo route, you might also consider Cioch Direct, who make stuff from the same fabric but made to measure. I've been very happy with their gear. Even made to measure will be cheaper than the Enduro! I've always been happy with my Paramo-type gear even after a day in the rain. Bit warm for summer use though; a normal shell might be a bit more versatile?

I wouldn't bother with the Axion, cos it is insulated. Much too hot unless you're spending all your time in very cold conditions. The shell fabric (neoshell light) has had mixed reports on durability in the past.
 Kilmar 17 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

I have recently bought an Enduro (size L) in red, but it's too snug for me so not worn outdoors, if you're interested.
 Neil Pratt 17 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

I bought myself a Paramo Enduro jacket and trousers last winter. I've not used them that much, which in itself might tell you something, and did swither about selling the jacket, but decided to hang onto it in the end and give it another try this winter. At this stage, I'm very much undecided about it.

My impressions so far; much better cut than previous Paramo kit I've had - jacket is a neat, shaped fit around the waist and chest, still find the sleeves a bit flappy, but understand the rationale for that in terms of being able to push the sleeves up for venting. It feels very heavy when you put it on - I'm more aware of it than when I'm wearing a soft-shell and goretex combo. It's comfortable to wear, feels less clammy when you're getting hot and sweaty on the uphill, and temperature is bearable with pit zips open, sleeves pushed up, main zip down a bit and the chest pockets open. Obviously temperature control is a very subjective thing, and varies significantly from person to person - I tend to run pretty hot when I'm working hard going uphill. I've been a bit disappointed with the wind proofing - I tend to wear it with a mid-weight Arcteryx base layer, and I can feel even moderate winds through it, especially round the back, where there's a panel of lighter weight liner. I have, on occasion, found myself adding a goretex shell over it to enhance the wind proofing - you could probably do the same with a Paramo windproof which would be a lighter option.

Enduro Trousers - I love them. The only niggle I have is that the low waistband isn't that comfy if you have a bit of a belly on you, and mine are currently down at Paramo HQ getting a low bib fitted to the front. Apart from that, they've been great - comfortable on the move, warm when you're stopped. They dry quickly if they do get wet - mine got soaked last winter digging a snow hole, but by the time I'd melted snow for a brew, they had dried off nicely, and they're very comfortable to sleep in (as is the jacket), which makes life very easy if you're out for a multi day trip. If I lost them, the only thing that might stop me from buying another pair is the release of the new Cascada which looks to be a similar cut, but about £100 cheaper!
OP llanberis36 17 Dec 2014
In reply to Neil Pratt:

Thanks all

Finally any comments on actually how waterproof, ie, up and down snowdon in the rain, would I be dry
 Stone Idle 17 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

Paramo is the only gear that has kept me consistently dry. Every Goretex I have owned has eventually leaked whereas the Paramo is virtually indestructible. I have had the current jacket nigh on 20 years and am just considering buying another, not because it does not work but because the build up of dirt has made the wife cringe (memo to self, wash the thing more regularly). All the comments about weight and summer overheating are true (and you need to vent like a mad thing if moving fast in winter) but it reproofs like a dream and has been utterly reliable and bombproof.
 Doghouse 18 Dec 2014
In reply to Kilmar:

Email me with a price. Thanks.
Paul Edwards 18 Dec 2014
In reply to llanberis36:

I am lucky enough to get issued Paramo and GoreTex and so far i have found that the Jacket (Aspira Smock) keeps me virtually dry, just a little seepage through the neck zip which in my mind is acceptable. The Trousers (Aspira) leak terribly directly through the front of upper leg/quad area. They are my second pair and the first did exactly the same. I have sent them back to Paramo and they have been re-proofed but that has not fixed the issue.

The material is heavy and hot so it needs to be pretty cool to set off in Paramo rather than Gore Tex, however this does make it very nice in the snow (Particularly Aspira with the padded knees and bum).

At the minute i use the Paramo Jacket with a set of Haglofs workwear GoreTex Pro sallopettes, this works brilliantly for me.

Every one seems to be different, some of my Colleagues swear by Paramo, some don't.

To me there seems to be a time and a place for both.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...