Stand alone GPS advice pls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ben b 04 Dec 2014
Dear all,
I have been asked to look at best options for an in-car GPS for a relative who really isn't great with technology. By which I mean gave away iPhone for a third hand Nokia circa 2002, struggles with tablets, laptops etc, doesn't do wifi, USB connections difficult as not clear "which bit to plug in where" - that sort of thing.

Everyone I know who needs a GPS these days just uses their phone. Is there a simple, foolproof GPS that doesn't require a PC to link to for downloading maps? I reckon we could probably update it once a year when I'm back in the UK but that would be it. Only needs to be in car, not for walking etc.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Cheers

b
OP ben b 05 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:

I'll try this again at a better time of day

Any bright ideas?

Cheers

b
 andy 05 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:
There's a TOMTOM app that's about £40 that puts the maps on your phone.

Brass Nipples 05 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:
Tomtom nuvi Garmin etc. all do stand alone sat navs preloaded with maps. You just turn them on, touch screen menu to select destination and away you go. Pop down your local Halfords to see what's available.
Post edited at 09:41
Dorq 05 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:

The basic TomToms that have a touch screen and plug into the ciggy lighter are good enough. The only problem I can see is that it isn't obvious from the initial screens how you change things, such as the volume and the map view: you have to just touch the various icons and go into the menus and trial by error you figure out what does that. Therefore, confusion might lead to impatience and the only recourse is the manual, which is probably a freakin download, though it may be a very basic booklet, I cannot remember.

However, if the thing can just be left at the right volume and turn by turn voice directions and the basic map view, it may be possible to set it and leave it alone.

Does the neighbour have anything similar? Might be worth finding out as that gives your relative someone to go to for basic advice; though they could swap it out for a good old fashioned A to Z when you aren't there
 Martin W 05 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b: I think if you do a forum search for "satnav" or "sat nav" rather than "GPS" you should find a number of recent threads on this topic.

What you called "in-car GPS" in your OP is normally referred to as satnav, because it combines a GPS receiver (which only provides position) with maps and route information (either on-board the device or over the air from 'the cloud') to provide real-time navigation guidance for road users, both on a moving map and by voice announcements.

I think it is useful to try to preserve a terminological differentiation between basic GPS which does position only, mapping GPS such as the more modern handheld devices designed for recreational outdoor use, and full-blown satnav.
OP ben b 06 Dec 2014
In reply to Martin W:

Thanks everyone; I will search for satnav, as you point out a search for GPS didn't work well. My nearest halfords is about 18,000km away so it's tricky to pop in and try them.

Cheers

B
 d_b 11 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:

Garmin and tomtom models are both fine. I prefer the garmins, but only because i have always used them and know my way around them better.

You can either buy them with maps loaded or get a cheap one and buy the maps you need on line - download and stick on an SD card.
 Sharp 12 Dec 2014
In reply to ben b:

> gave away iPhone for a third hand Nokia circa 2002, struggles with tablets, laptops etc, doesn't do wifi, USB connections difficult as not clear "which bit to plug in where"

I don't mean this flippantly but perhaps she'd be better off with a map and an A - Z. If you don't do touch screens and USB then at some point she'll fall out with the satnav. Even ones where 90% you just hit the post code in and go, the one thing that's sure with technology is that at some point you'll have to interact with it to make it do what you want, it'll turn itself off or reroute or it'll start speaking russian at you or you'll need to update it...all simple to fix for most people but if you can't use an iphone then you're just going to get annoyed trying to jiggle with it on busy roads, or crash.
OP ben b 16 Dec 2014
In reply to Sharp:

You make a very good point and she's good with maps, but not the memory of the route without prompting. I must admit I struggle a bit around the back roads of the Shropshire borders and resort to iPhone prompts on occasions. If I'm navigating by map it's fine but my brain doesn't do driving and nav recall at the same time...

Thanks for all the input

b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...