Patagonia Alpine Guide v Backcountry Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
drmarten 02 Dec 2014

Taking out any price differential - it's Christmas and I've also found the Backcountry guide pants online for £20 cheaper than the Alpine guide pants - which of these is more suitable for winter climbing in Scotland?

I'm wondering if the backcountry guide pants are too heavy/warm for the damper, milder Scottish winter's morning hike uphill to a route or do the thigh vents cancel that out, and are they too baggy at the bottom when wearing Nepals and not ski boots?
Their advantage over the Alpine guide pants may be those thigh vents, braces (a definite positive) and I'm assuming that extra bombproofness given they're normally dearer. I'd think the Alpine guide pants advantages would be they are slightly lighter, not too warm and not as baggy at the bottom. I'm used to wearing a light merino
baselayer underneath any trousers in winter and happy to continue with that.

I'd also look to use them for hillwalking in winter, I carry paclite waterproofs in my rucksack.

Sorry for using the word pants when referring to trousers, you'll note I refuse to use suspenders over braces.
Post edited at 09:14
 Si Withington 02 Dec 2014
In reply to drmarten:

Hi mate. I've climbed in Scotland in Backcountry Guides for the last few seasons and have found them to be outstanding. I usually wear them over a thin pair of Merinos unless it's warm. The vents work well and I've never been super hot slogging in - just slow your pace and learn to regulate your heat.

They're not baggy at all - I find them a really good fit for climbing. They've kept out some pretty horrible conditions but they obviously will wet out eventually if it's really dripping, but its not often you climb in those conditions.

Have skied in them too.

I rate them and would definitely buy another pair.

HeMa 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

> They're not baggy at all - I find them a really good fit for climbing.

Depends on the year... the beige/brown ones I have are really baggy, like steezy yo baggy.
 Ander 02 Dec 2014
In reply to drmarten:
I've got backcountry guides, which are great, though I think that, in 10 years time when I've worn them out, I'd go for Alpine Guides. They're warm enough for most things, where the backcountrys can be a little too warm in warmer weather. They're substantially lighter than the backcountrys, and can be beefed up with a pair of thermals for when it's truly cold.
Post edited at 10:02
 chris_s 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Si Withington:

Second the above. I wear them with some Cap 4 baselayers and don't find them too warm. Mine are about 3 years old though - I think the design of the newest ones has changed quite a bit.
drmarten 02 Dec 2014
In reply to thread :
Thanks for the replies, anyone like to comment on Patagonia trouser sizing, I'm looking at a size M 31-33. I'm normally 32/33 so if it they're on the small side I'd have to go up a size which I can't find.
 HeMa 02 Dec 2014
In reply to drmarten:

> Thanks for the replies, anyone like to comment on Patagonia trouser sizing, I'm looking at a size M 31-33. I'm normally 32/33 so if it they're on the small side I'd have to go up a size which I can't find.

Depends on the year. Patagucci is well know for it's peculiarities. Eg, the same "model" name product can have completely different sizing the following year.
drmarten 02 Dec 2014
In reply to HeMa:

I know what you mean I've had two jackets one medium, one large - both fitted me the same.
I'll go for it and return if they don't fit. Thanks again. I've just picked up on something though, Patagonia don't really believe in keeping styles
(with some exceptions) on sale or in production for long which may account for the pricing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...