Mamore Lodge parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simonclimbs 01 Dec 2014
Hi, can anybody advise about the parking situation at Mamore Lodge above Kinlochleven. I have previously parked there and was told by a friend that you still could, but when I got there on Saturday the gate at the bottom was shut and the sign said "authorised access only, gates may be locked at any time " and the chain and padlock hanging on the fence so I didn't go through.

Cheers
 Mark Bull 01 Dec 2014
In reply to simonclimbs:

Folk have been locked in (see this recent thread over on Walkhighlands http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47709 ), so maybe best not to chance it. Apparently the road surface is deteriorating rapidly, too.
 petestack 01 Dec 2014
In reply to simonclimbs:

It's frequently locked these days.
drmarten 01 Dec 2014
In reply to simonclimbs:

I was pondering driving up earlier this year after arriving at the car park at the bottom of the access road, and the gate was open. An estate worker arrived, made it clear I wasn't going to be allowed up and locked the gate so I stayed with the bottom car park and walked up the road. I wouldn't risk driving up and parking if the gate was open. I can't recall any issues with the road surface, this was in June.
 petestack 01 Dec 2014
In reply to drmarten:

> I can't recall any issues with the road surface, this was in June.

Can't say I'd noticed either, but I just run and/or cycle (not drive) it regularly (like 30+ times so far this year)...
 petestack 04 Dec 2014
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Apparently the road surface is deteriorating rapidly, too.

Ran it again tonight. Sure, there are a few patches, but no worse than most of the public roads, *much* better than Loch Arkaig and no way deteriorating rapidly. But, yes, the gate was locked, and I mean locked, not just pretending to be.

Mark Bull 04 Dec 2014
In reply to petestack:

Thanks for the on-the-spot report!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...