Vintage gore tex v modern jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Skol 30 Nov 2014
Which do you think are better and why?
Do you still wear an 80s/90s jacket, and would you get it repaired instead of buying new?
 marsbar 30 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol:
I still wear my old goretex jacket. Its early 90s 3 layer totally bombproof and long enough to not wear waterproof trousers most of the time. I hate getting wet bum and thighs.

I did replace it once when I lost it with a newer 3 layer xcr one, but the old one turned up and I managed to leave the newer one at a friends house who likes it and uses it.

I need to stick the seam tape back down, it came loose after the last time It was washed. I don't see the point in replacement when it does the job. The new ones do seem more fragile.

I suppose if I was doing more lightweight stuff then I might consider getting a new one. But I don't do much of that these days, and back when I did I managed fine with what was available then.

I look back another generation and my dad managed fine out on the fells and paddling the rivers without goretex or anything nearly as technical.

Post edited at 13:50
Dorq 30 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol:

Jackets of 20 years ago had a baggier fit and this was helpful for layering. There was more room under the arms, for instance. The idea that making shoulders and arms narrower represents function over form is disingenuous at best, for fashion would predict exactly the same changes; and 20 years ago, when batwing sleeves were 'fly', companies were advertising 'technical fit' just as much as they do today. Some things do need to be form fitting, obviously, but a proper fitting winter shell shouldn't look tailored, IMO.

My 90s jacket eventually started to delaminate around the neck and could have been repaired by Patagucci but the fabric itself was knackered.

Like others often mention, I don't miss 4+ pockets on a waterproof but I do miss not having to put up with 'pit-zip technology', which I hardly ever make use of. Velcro is a pain in the arse, so good riddance to that down the front and over pockets. Lighter helps but some jackets were just as light, all things considered, and the difference might have accounted for their durability?

I have some 90s overtrousers and the goretex is still good, with a few stick-on patches inside the knees and elsewhere. But the velcro running down the legs always scares the sheep so there's that.

wbo 30 Nov 2014
In reply to Skol: i have a Latok jacket i bought around 1990. It is a very modern design with an excellent fit and pretty bulletproof proof and every now and again it makes an appearance.

Apart from some delamination round the collar it's in really good nick as it's spent most of it's 25 years in the dark. It does however way a ton , is not especially breathable and pretty stiff so it's not an every day jacket

mattsccm 01 Dec 2014
In reply to wbo:

Got a late 80's Phoenix Grit. Great jacket. Neck seam was killed by Jungle formula. I suppose that nowadays it could be repaired but I just use duct tape.
it is simple and no silly liner yet the zip is well shrouded. You don't see that in modern jackets.
 Ridge 01 Dec 2014
In reply to mattsccm:

> ?.. the zip is well shrouded. You don't see that in modern jackets.

Heresy! Everyone must have accepted by now that letting water get through the zip and then trying to stop it is a triumph of modern design?
 squarepeg 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Skol:

Vintage goretex? crikey I still wear tweed..........
OP Skol 02 Dec 2014
In reply to squarepeg:

> Vintage goretex? crikey I still wear tweed..........

How does it compare ?
 Wee Davie 02 Dec 2014
In reply to Skol:
I had a 3 layer, red, Norse Farce Karakoram jaiket that cost me about £80 out of the Norse Farce sale in Port Glasgow. It was brilliant. Hard wearing but heavy. Used it for years, but then it got leaky and the cuffs were fuct so I had to update it : ( Modern jaikets aren't made tough enough for the mixed...

Doh
Post edited at 20:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...