GPS and heart rate monitor watch recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maresia 29 Nov 2014
I'm looking at buying a GPS and heart rate monitor watch for use in many different situations. I don't want to have to buy several devices for different things.

Minimum requirements:
Waterproof
GPS logging
Built in hear rate monitor rather than a separate chest band
Modes for HR intensity training
Mac compatible

Ideal additional features:
Waypoints and current lat/long display
Compass/direction to waypoint pointer
Altimeter that can be calibrated on the go and displays actual elevation and not just height gained/lost
swimming and cycling modes

The closest I've found is the TomTom cardio range but someone may know of something better. At the moment the TomTom misses the mark on some of the wishlist but I don't think the device I'm actually after exists.

Any suggestions? cheers
 Flett 29 Nov 2014
In reply to maresia:

Garmin fenix 2 has a strap monitor but it's a amazing bit off kit
OP maresia 30 Nov 2014
In reply to flett53:

I've heard good things about garmin. I've been impressed with their nautical gps and sat nav but the chest strap is a deal breaker.
 Paul Atkinson 30 Nov 2014
In reply to maresia:
If you want the HR function because tou want to do structured HR based training (as some of what you write seems to imply) then I would suggest the strap free technology is not quite there yet. If it's more for just keeping a record / rough idea of zones then fine

I use a Garmin 610 which is fine but only really does 5-6 hours as GPS

P
 sleavesley 30 Nov 2014
In reply to maresia:

Like you say I don't think that a product exists that does all of what you would like/need.

If I was in your position I would head over to DC rainmakers blog and compare all of them http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-comparison-calculator

Then get the one that fitted best or even two.

There is no one who does reviews more comprehensive than DC rainmaker.
 DANNYdjb 30 Nov 2014
In reply to flett53:

id second that had mine for year now and absolutely love it
 Flett 30 Nov 2014
In reply to DANNYdjb:

Yeah the amount of information that it gives you back is amazing. Been using it mainly for running and trail running and you hardly notice that you are wearing the chest strap
 alooker 30 Nov 2014
In reply to maresia:

Chest strap it has to be if you want dependable/useable results, nothing else comes close for accuracy. Fenix is great.
OP maresia 05 Dec 2014
In reply to maresia:

Having read the DCrainmaker reviews it would seem that the strap free HR monitors are now more accurate than the chest straps. Results very similar to ECG readings!

Decided on a Tomtom multisport. We'll see how it goes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...