Minimus Smock for Alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 28 Nov 2014
Is this jacket too lightweight as a waterproof layer for summer Alps trips? Thinking it will be used to throw on in afternoon storms when walking into huts etc.

http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/minimus-smock

Anyone?
 Street 28 Nov 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

I used the Minimus Jacket this year in the Alps. I only took it out of my pack for one afternoon out of 10 days but it kept me perfectly dry that day! I'm definitely glad I didn't take anything heavier!
 sbc_10 28 Nov 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Looks a tad close fitting.
Might need to work through a few layering scenarios to optimise/ rationalise weight, speed,warmth, breathability, bombproofness and versatility , depending on what your Alpine needs are.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Nov 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

No good with bulky gloves. Unless you want to remove them beforehand.
 Timmd 29 Nov 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

It wouldn't be as thermally protective as something more robust perhaps. You could email them?
 Jonny Allen 29 Nov 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

> Is this jacket too lightweight as a waterproof layer for summer Alps trips? Thinking it will be used to throw on in afternoon storms when walking into huts etc...

That's pretty much exactly what I've been intending to buy one for, for months.
That, plus U.K. cragging in uncertain weather, and clipping to the back of ones harness for topping out onto cold windy belays.

The mountain jacket version is fantastic looking and will be my choice. I figure the much better hood and addition of chest pockets is worth the tiny extra pack size and weight. They all pack down to an astoundingly small size - my main concern/requirement above all others, including weight.
I mean, a breathable fully waterproof hooded jacket for the size and weight penalty of an apple?! You can't beat that. It'll never be noticed, whether it's stuffed in a pocket, pack, or back of one's harness.

Regarding being too lightweight? I don't think I'd worry about that too much, especially if you don't intend to use it as a main waterproof and just for when you get caught out. It seems surprisingly robust for the weight of it.

So yeah, definitely a +1 from me on your idea if that helps?

Regards,
Jonny.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...