Recommend me a run near Ambleside (or come for a run with me)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
petesam 27 Nov 2014
So i'm driving across from Edinburgh to pick something up in Ambleside on Saturday afternoon - seeing as I have no other plans for the day, I thought I could make a bit more of it by going for a run.

Whilst I know the lakes a bit, I haven't done much running there, so is anyone able to recommend me a decent hill run? Or even better, does anyone fancy going for a run with me?

Something like 10 miles and 1000-1500m ascent would be lovely (as a guide on pace, I would normally run something like that at 9:30-10:00/mile).

Also, anyone know if there's somewhere to grab a shower afterwards?
 Nutkey 27 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

Fairfield Horseshoe to Rydal is about 10 miles/1000m. Bus back from Rydal (the tea shop there is alright), or down the track which is easy running. The race route goes clockwise, but I find it more runnable anti-clockwise.
 John Kelly 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

you could run part of Langdale horseshoe then finish at campsite - shower, a quid, pay at reception

cheers
John

PS there are various parking options in valley, we charge £5 for 24hrs
 mark catcher 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:
Great runs up Kentmere from Staveley, free parking in mill yard, brilliant coffee/cake from the deli or Wilfs, shower at Wheelbase for a quid. Straight back on M6 too.
 steveriley 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

I'd have a go at the Fairfield Horseshoe route for easy navigation and a great route. You can tack a bit on if you want more distance. Good suggestions above but nice not to faff with the car. There's a Harveys map you might be able to pick up too.
petesam 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

Cheers guys - must say the Fairfield stands out for ease of navigation (looks like it'll be hard to go wrong) and lack of extra driving, but will have a glance at maps for the others too. Much appreciated.

I could promise to run faster/slower if that would persuade anyone to join me for some company and local knowledge?!
petesam 28 Nov 2014
In reply to John Kelly:

Ooh, the Langdale horseshoe looks good. I notice that the men's course record is pretty swift - and hasn't been beaten since 1977! Whilst I do like a challenge....
 Dark-Cloud 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

You might want to reserve judgement on that one, when the clag is down there have been mistakes involving heading off down towards Brothers Water !
 Dark-Cloud 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

Kentmere Horseshoe is another solid option too.
 John Kelly 28 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

> Ooh, the Langdale horseshoe looks good. I notice that the men's course record is pretty swift - and hasn't been beaten since 1977! Whilst I do like a challenge....

Think there are a few fellrunning records that date back to the 80's?
petesam 30 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

Thanks for the ideas folks - I went for the Langdale loop in the end as the weather looked ok and I had a bit more time than anticipated. Was really slow going on the rocks over crinkle crags and bow fell, but a lovely little loop. Many thanks
 Bob 30 Nov 2014
In reply to petesam:

I know you've been for your run but your comment about the Fairfield Horseshoe (looks like it'll be hard to go wrong) could hardly be more wrong! I've only got lost, err been misplaced, twice in the Lake District in over forty years of walking, running and climbing over the fells. Both times were on Fairfield in mist. The gotcha is that the summit of Fairfield when doing the horseshoe is an out and back, you approach and leave the summit by the same path.

Andy Styan's Langdale record is interesting: he was one of a group of three pushing for the win, the other two were Billy Bland and (I think) Kenny Stuart. No-one records "nearly broke the record" times but I believe that someone got within a minute of it a few years ago.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...